Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Today while hunting on public land I was treated to the inconvenient surprise of seeing a hunter walking in after I has set up w

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today while hunting on public land I was treated to the inconvenient surprise of seeing a hunter walking in after I has set up w

Today while hunting on public land I was treated to the inconvenient surprise of seeing a hunter walking in after I has set up well before dark. He sounded like he went about 100 yards from where I was and as soon as 07:30 rolled around I could hear him rattling horns and using a grunt call for about a solid 3 minutes to the point that he sounded like a Yugo with a bad muffler driving down a logging road. I know it is pulic access land but I at least will move on to another spot if I see a truck parked near a specific section. I have also experienced the Daniel Boone imitators that have watched too much outdoor shows and think they can stalk deer through dry leaves as quiet as Western hunters stalk across open fields. Especially comical but frustrating when they do it after you have walked in and set up in the dark and are doing all you can to stay quiet and concealed. What is everyody's thoughts on public land etiquette?

I sympathize with you '06. If there's a truck at "my spot" I keep driving. Last fall I was set up in November with my decoy about 100 yds in the woods behind a CRP field. A small game hunter parks right next to my truck and walks into the woods directly into my Decoy. He seems puzzled by it. I grunt, bleat, whistle and eventually say "HEY" but he never sees me in my tree, 25 yds from the decoy. He goes on hunting, and when I come out at dark he is waiting there at the trucks to tell me there was a buck coming to my decoy, which he spooked. Thanks buddy.

Comment

DON'T Hunt Public Lands or Put up with the Bull S**t this is how fights start do to SLOB hunters!
      Next Time GO deeper in! I have seen Fights over Who shot and killed Running Deer.
      Lease Hunting is so much better every one is friendly and respects every ones Area.

Comment

A lot of people who are accustomed to hunting public land during deer season have simply gotten used to being close to someone else in the woods. They've just simply never done it any other way; they have no concept that it might bother someone.

Comment

I've never hunted public land, nor leased (I'd rather get in a fight than pay for private land) there was a piece of land I hunted, about 600 acres, back in Maine that others also had permission to hunt. They were lazy weekend warriors who only stayed for an hr or so and went just a few hundred yards in the woods. They were real easy to avoid and I doubt they knew I was there. The only similar issue I've had to yours, was a guy who took off his orange when he got into a tree stand. I walked real near him to have him scream and holler at me. Took me by surprise actually, and I'm not scared of anything (j/k). He was an idiot for both of his behaviors, and plain old rude. I got permission for a rather large town bully to hunt the same field, and would ya know it the original jerk didn't come back. The "bully" would always wave to me and help me drag out a deer or hang a stand, year after year. Really a nice trade off.

Comment

I've never hunted public land, nor leased (I'd rather get in a fight than pay for private land) there was a piece of land I hunted, about 600 acres, back in Maine that others also had permission to hunt. They were lazy weekend warriors who only stayed for an hr or so and went just a few hundred yards in the woods. They were real easy to avoid and I doubt they knew I was there. The only similar issue I've had to yours, was a guy who took off his orange when he got into a tree stand. I walked real near him to have him scream and holler at me. Took me by surprise actually, and I'm not scared of anything (j/k). He was an idiot for both of his behaviors, and plain old rude. I got permission for a rather large town bully to hunt the same field, and would ya know it the original jerk didn't come back. The "bully" would always wave to me and help me drag out a deer or hang a stand, year after year. Really a nice trade off.

Comment

Not everyone has the means to lease land and there are some great options in public land. Luckily where I got to hunt there were a lot of options for public land to hunt. My best advice is to go as deep in as possible. Not only will you more than likely find bigger deer but also will avoid a lot of the lazy hunters. I know there are exceptions to this because some disabled and elderly hunters can't go in as far but it seems the deeper you go you seem to leave behind the amateurs, poor etiquette, and you also seem to leave behind smaller more skittish deer. A little work may get you a better trophy or more meat.

Comment

This makes me really glad that I hunt private land.

Comment

I accept the quirky hunter behaviors of public land before I enter the woods. My only concern is that they not shoot me. I really don't mind walking or stalking hunters as long as they keep moving. They occasionally get a few deer moving and most deer are smart enough to avoid them by laying down or sliding out ahead of them. I don't like someone sidling up next to me (within 75 yards) to set up a stand. That seems a little disrespectful to me.

Comment

Most of the nimrods will be found within 1/2 mile of an access point. Not sure there is much etiquette on public land or elsewhere.

Comment

Some peope are just to damn lazy (or have no respect for anyone) to find their own spots so they just find where someone else hunting and set up camp there. It ticks me off to no end but that is the unfortunate consequences of hunting public land.

Comment

Last year I set up a stand 3 weeks before the archery opener on public land, the sun rose opening morning to reveal a stand placed in a tree 20 yards from the one 1 was set up in and facing directly at mine. 45 min into the morning a "hunter" comes crashing through the woods and up the tree, then looks at me and asks if I had seen anything. No apology, no offering to move his stand, nothing. I arrived after sun up the next morning and clumsily spent the next 90 mins pulling my stand down and vacating the area for good. The above posters are correct, hang your sets at least a mile from the nearest road, and you will rarely see another hunter.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad