Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

As much as I hate to admit it once I got a smart phone I catch myself surfing he internet or playing games after a couple hours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As much as I hate to admit it once I got a smart phone I catch myself surfing he internet or playing games after a couple hours

As much as I hate to admit it once I got a smart phone I catch myself surfing he internet or playing games after a couple hours in the woods. I guess it's a sign of the digital times and I love being in an area with no reception to keep people from calling and to keep myself off the phone. Does anyone else read books, mess with the phone while hunting or do you stay on post from when you come in till you leave?

Just a text to my hunting buddies every now and then. Tried reading once. It interfered with my hunting.

Comment

I text friends quite often, but I have a dumb phone so I cant play games or anything. I have been reading a book while out gun hunting and have enjoyed it. ( Big surprise since I never read books.)

Comment

No, never. When there are no squirrels, songbirds, turkeys, chipmunks, minks, fishers, porcupines, bears, sasquatches, bobcats, foxes, or coyotes to watch and/or listen to, I deliberately think about other hunts. Sometimes I play little mental games that are also designed to help keep hunts and other outings fresh in my memory, i.e. try to remember every grouse I've ever bagged (and what the weather was like that day, what else did I see that day, etc.), try to remember every buck I've ever seen on my property, try to remember each trout I caught that year and what I caught it on ....

Comment

a text every once in a while to a buddy that is hunting, i read some from time to time is about it.

Comment

During optimal conditions I like to hunt deep into the woods and from dawn till dusk. I take my phone and it is fun to talk to hunting buddies. A lot of the time we will hunt the same land in different areas. We can compare movement and keep in contact that way. Sometimes on an all day sit I will pull out a book to read in a slower time of day. Movement often stops late morning and before that mid day snack so I will read to kill time rather than move spots or make a bunch of commotion walking out and back in that evening. I enjoy the time outdoors and a lot of my hunting is therapeutical.

Comment

I hunt from an enclosed blind and when the action slows I have some catalogs to dream a little about the latest things in the hunting world that I don't really need. Usually don't look at the page for over 45 sec. without looking around the area. I have my Gideon New Testament that I reference from time to time to strengthen myself, can't go wrong reading it. I usually have a stiff neck from looking at my reading material and looking up to see what is going on. I must look like a bobble head doing so.

Comment

I have been guilty of many a woods nap but I treasure every second I spend in the woods so no books, electronics etc. for me. While hunting can be a test of patience and focus, as one of my hunting mentors says, "At any minute it can turn into a three ring circus".

Comment

I never take any distractions with me. I do take the occational nap though. If it is leagal in your area throw some bird seed around your deer stand and you will have entertainment all day with the birds and various critters that come into it.

Comment

I never play games and my phone doesn't do that anyway, but I do look at pictures of my wife and our children when it's been a long dark to dark working week. When I do this, I often cuss myself for working so much.

Comment

No games, books or electronics - every hour or two I might listen to the radio(ear buds) to check the weather or news.

Comment

I read all the time, so I do read while out in the woods. I did this before kindle apps and continue now. Otherwise, no electronics other than to keep in contact with my father in law while he is hunting the back part of the property.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                          by Ontario Honker Hunter
                          I see an interesting piece up on CBC this morning that says Kamala would be a perfect fit for the Conservative party if she was running for office up...
                          Today, 11:19 AM
                        • 16 Years
                          by jhjimbo
                          So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                          Yesterday, 09:20 PM
                        • Reply to More Bad News....
                          by bowhunter75richard
                          WAM, I am very sorry to hear about Scout. I know words at times such as this are of little help, but know they are filled with much feeling of sorrow...
                          Today, 11:12 AM
                        • More Bad News....
                          by WA Mtnhunter
                          My 13+ year old Black Lab is still plugging along. Not sure how much or if he will hunt this fall. The real bad news is that my 8-year old Lab, Scout,...
                          07-19-2020, 12:00 PM
                        • Reply to 16 Years
                          by rock rat
                          Jimbo this morning I heard a woman interviewed on the radio, she was the state coordinator with the Kamala for President group during the primaries. All...
                          Today, 10:59 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X