Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The trials and tribulations of becoming a resident hunter. It's a long, drawn out, whining affair. Read the first post if you wo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The trials and tribulations of becoming a resident hunter. It's a long, drawn out, whining affair. Read the first post if you wo

The trials and tribulations of becoming a resident hunter. It's a long, drawn out, whining affair. Read the first post if you would, I would like to know your opinions.

Although I cannot hunt big game this year in WY I have been blessed with some neat acquaintances and been able to take part in a whitetail hunt, two bull elk hunts, and am headed after a cow elk on Saturday. There was a 374" green score bull taken here, an albino bull shot on the neighboring ranch, and a cool looking 6x2 with a massive club like drop tine taken by the bosses daughter in law. It's been an awesome experience and I cannot wait for my own hunts next year. All that said, the Wyoming DNR doesnt allow me to put in for the draw of our limited quota zone until 2015 because I moved here on August 31 of 2013 and you must be a resident for one full year in order to apply for the drawn tags(applied by may) so if I'm blessed enough, I'll be buying leftover cow calf tags for the wife and I. What is your take on this? Fair and part of the system? Or alittle over the top? If there are no over the counter tags, I'll be taking nearly three years (end of 2012 - beginning of 2015) of big game off all because I moved to and am contributing to their State.

Comment

Seems to be a little over the top. Isn't most states 6 months? At least you are still able to get out and do some hunting and have a chance at filling the freezer.

Comment

Yes and No P-h-w!
        Knew a guy back home in E Texas who bought a small parcel if land in Colorado. Taxes were half the price of non-Res tags. He got a Co address and kept a "change-of-address" filed at the local p.o.. The next fall, he enjoyed all rhe benes of a Co resident.
        Sadly, that spring, he also got to either file Co state income taxes (quite expensive!) or face "game fraud" (even MORE expensive!) charges! LOL"
        He paid the taxes and sold the parcel!
        No, if you're making an honest effort to become a Wy resident (DL, home, job etc.) let 'em have a res tag.
        Unfortunately, it's not the "unscrupulous" who suffer the consequences of their vile behavior.
        I still think you should be able to apply to draw tags for 2014! ...but, alas! I didn't make the rules!

Comment

I understand why WY would do this. Years ago, and I don't know if this is still going on or not, but residences of LA near the AR border would establish an AR address simply by getting a PO box in AR and then buy AR residence licenses and vice versa. Even a draw system was not in effect in either state it was a way of hunting in either state without the higher non-residence license.

Comment

Keeps the non-residents on an extended vacation at Jackson Hole from becoming resident hunters.

Comment

LOL- that's the first explanation thy has made sense yet WAM! And almost worth it, but still irritating.

Comment

P-H-W,
                That does seem a little brutal. Hang in there it sounds like it will be worth the wait!

Comment

LOL- that's the first explanation thy has made sense yet WAM! And almost worth it, but still irritating.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad