Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

7mm-08 for coyote? I am going to be doing a little coyote management (we aren't too fond of them here in Maryland)and i have on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7mm-08 for coyote? I am going to be doing a little coyote management (we aren't too fond of them here in Maryland)and i have on

7mm-08 for coyote? I am going to be doing a little coyote management (we aren't too fond of them here in Maryland)and i have only two viable options for hunting them. I have my deer rifle, a 7mm-08 Ruger M77 Haykeye with a Leupold 3-9 on top. My other option is a Windham Weaponry MPC in 5.56/.223 with a 1-4 bushnell with a bullet drop recticle. I probably wont take shots outside of 150. What do you think? Thanks, Jack.

With todays ammo prices, I'd go 5.56/.223. It's plenty gun for song dogs.
    Maybe use the '08 for a bit of practice now and again.
    Best of luck! I just scoped my DPMS in .223. I've got to do some 'yote thinning myself. They're pretty bad around here.

Comment

The average coyote weighs about 40 pounds, with a high of about 75 pounds.
      I have heard reports of coyotes weighing over 100 pounds in Pennsylvania and Ohio, but I think they may have been coydogs.

Comment

If your planning on keeping the hide then use the .223. If not then use the 7 mil just for good measure.

Comment

Just happened to see this on Outdoor Life nice to know you're on both. Stay In touch.
          Seth

Comment

The 7mm-08 or the .223 will do a fine job on 40# to 100#+ Coyotes or Coydogs. I like to use Hornady TAP 60Gr .223 Ammo on Coyote.

Comment

I think either one will kill a dog. Six of one, half dozen of the other.

~Laker

Comment

If you prefer using the 7mm-08, the Hornady 120 gr, HP bullets should do an impressive job on the coyotes (assuming you don't need the pelt). Your .223 should be entirely up the task if you prefer using it. The 4X setting on the Bushnell scope should be sufficient. The question distills to which rifle you prefer. Both cartridges are deadly on coyotes.

Comment

Thanks all!

Comment

I concur, both deadly on coyotes. Take your choice. I like the Hornady V-Max bullets, 50g in .223 over Benchrest powder and 120g in 7mm-08 over Varget powder.

Comment

Use the AR! What if more than 1 comes in? Easier to send several pieces of lead their way! That bolt rifle will be much slower on a follow up with the recoil and working the action.

Comment

IMHO, a hunter should not be thinking about a follow-up shot, but should be focused on making that first shot count.
                        The bolt action rifle pretty much forces him to do that, but does not jam if a follow-up shot is necessary, which is more than can be said for the AR. Just my two cents.

Comment

Md, use the one you can shoot the best. Daytime I would favor the .223, night time a shotgun might be better.
                          Good luck.

Comment

I have a followup to this question.
                            There is a horse farm around here that has a problem coyote that might need to be taken care of before he injures a pony, but I don't want to scare any horses or neighbors with a gunshot, so I was wondering if a .22LR hollow-point is sufficient for a coyote?
                            I am wary of using a centerfire rifle or shotgun due to the close proximity of housing and risk of spooking the horses.

Comment

mspl8sdcntryboy,
                              Is a .22 Magnum an option for you? The .22LR will require close range and good placement, but modern ammunition (Remington & CCI with polymer-tipped bullets in .22WRM) would be the better option for coyotes and may serve your purpose. I hesitate to use even my .22 Hornet around livestock.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad