Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So just got back from the U.P. deer hunting. No luck again this year. two days before the opener we saw a 8pt chasing does where

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jhjimbo
    replied
    I have not been there for several years but around Kalkaska and Traverse City I did not hear wolves. Always had good deer hunting and even saw an elk.
    The meat pole in Grayling used to fill up around noon.

Leave a comment:

• Dbetzner
    replied
    Tleichty if your going to the eastern part it seems they've moved to the west (I was in the Rockland/Octonogan area) I think the packs may have left shortly after I did or the hunting pressure scared them away many of the camps near ours that had full buck poles last year only had a deer or two when I left. I have a friend who stayed behind he says they're starting to fill the poles now. sadly they are nowhere near the 43 (they are at 8 as of this morning)

Leave a comment:

• tleichty1989
    replied
    This year marked the first season for wolves in the UP @jhjimbo. In all they are going to harvest 43. From what I hear there are a lot of wolves and the numbers are growing exponentially. I was going to go up to the UP this weekend @dbetzner but from the sounds of it maybe I will not. Its disheartening to make the trip all the way up there and come back empty handed! ha

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Are the wolves protected?
    DakotaMan was in Montana and said the elk have stopped calling one another as they have learned that will bring the wolf pack.

Leave a comment:

• So just got back from the U.P. deer hunting. No luck again this year. two days before the opener we saw a 8pt chasing does where

So just got back from the U.P. deer hunting. No luck again this year. two days before the opener we saw a 8pt chasing does where we were hunting and caught him on trail cam the next day. while scouting we saw loads of deer sign and deer. Opening day was greeted by wolf howls and next to zero deer movement (saw one doe) and I believe the next few days were plagued by the arrival of that wolf pack to the area. Deer movement was up the last day I was there in spite of 30mph winds and blowing snow but alas no buck was put on the buck pole! any one else in the U.P. have a better season?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad