Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hunting in the northwoods, I barely ever get a chance to take a shot at anything over 50 yards (poor visibility, trees get in th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunting in the northwoods, I barely ever get a chance to take a shot at anything over 50 yards (poor visibility, trees get in th

Hunting in the northwoods, I barely ever get a chance to take a shot at anything over 50 yards (poor visibility, trees get in the way). Should I even bother trying to sight in my rifle at 100 yards?

additionally, I find that sighting in at 50 or 75 means I shoot high at 100. So then if I sight in at 100, will I be shooting low at 50 yards?

Comment

It depends on your rifle. For something the speed of a 30-30, a 50 yard zero is fine. For something like a 30-06 that is capable of much longer shots just in case you need them, I'd suggest 100 yard zero.

With a 100 yard zero, a typical 30-06 would be 1/4" low at 50 yards. That is close enough to zero for hunting purposes. If you don't have a 100 range to sight in, you could certainly do a 50 yard zero. Then you would be a 1/2" high at 100 yards with a 30-06.

Comment

Thanks DokatoMan, that helps. I'll be shooting 7.62x54R and I've looked up a trajectory chart for it... I'll be sighting in @ 50.

Comment

My 300WSM is dead on at 50 yards and .6 of an inch high at 100 yards with 165 grain bullets. My Son's .308 is dead on at 50 yards and .5 of an inch high at 100 with 150 grain bullets.

Comment

Due to the parallax of you scope and barrel I would recommend sighting at 100 yards. By doing so you will just be slightly low at 50 and the bullet will be traveling upwards. On the off chance that you have a shot at a longer distance wouldn't you like to know for 100% that you will be dead on. It's a lot easier to make a small mistake and miss at further distances and that bullet trajectory could be the difference maker for you. That's just my 2 cents

Comment

I use a 30-06 shooting 180 grains and sight it in for 25 yards. It's good to go up to 200 yards. Maybe a little high at 100 yards but I'm shooting deer not gophers. Always aim for the lungs and it'll bring them down if they are 25-200 yards. An inch or so isn't going to make much difference for vitals the size of washtub.

Comment

There's a lotta folks here that know a lot more than I do, but I still sight my rifle at least to 100 yards.
                Dead on at 25 yards. One and one-half inches high at 100.
                With that 7.62x54R, within 150 yards, put the (+) where you want the bullet and squeeze!
                Lotsa folks want to be "prepared" for 500+ yard shots. I'd wager more deer die less than 100 yards from the muzzle.
                Not many folks have the equipment/experience/knowledge/talent for those next time zone shots. ALMOST anybody can make a 150 yard shot.
                Even if you can't "see" beyond 50 yards, 150 yards is extremely "doable"!

Be a Boy Scout! "Be Prepared""

Comment

Nice scope and crosshairs Mr.Bubba. +1 for creativity.

Comment

I like to shoot at 100 when I have the chance but the range on the land we own is a 50yd range. I hunt in the same conditions you describe so I don't worry about it too much. I usually sight in for 1" high at 50 and with the various cartridges I hunt with that means a dead on hold on any deer I can see.
                    When I lived in Colorado 100yds was a close shot so we regularly shot at ranges out to 300.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Cheaper Than Dirt
                      by PigHunter
                      I understand the reason someone would pick the heavier bullets. However, heavier bullets cause greater recoil and will affect recovery time and may result...
                      Today, 02:16 PM
                    • Cheaper Than Dirt
                      by jhjimbo
                      Lots of ammo back in stock, but the prices are right up there to....
                      Today, 12:21 PM
                    • Reply to 300 yard .22lr
                      by fitch270
                      I wouldn’t spend that much on a 10/22 but I might on a bolt gun. For that kind of money I expect some style to go with it, of the Cooper or Annie level....
                      Today, 01:40 PM
                    • 300 yard .22lr
                      by jhjimbo
                      Would you spend $900 for a Ruger 10/22 to shoot 300yds ? A little over 1" at 100 and a little 0ver 6" at 300yds. Lapua and SK ammo used....
                      Today, 11:28 AM
                    • Reply to Cheaper Than Dirt
                      by jhjimbo
                      I like the Remington Golden Saber Black Belt 147gr 9mm (not +P) and the 180gr in .40. Check out the statistics. Some LEO friends always suggest the heavy...
                      Today, 01:28 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X