Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the temperature range you are likely to see in the Eastern U.S. hunting whitetail in the rifle season? What is your min

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the temperature range you are likely to see in the Eastern U.S. hunting whitetail in the rifle season? What is your min

What is the temperature range you are likely to see in the Eastern U.S. hunting whitetail in the rifle season? What is your minimum temperature you will hunt in?

The warmest it has been during rifle season in recent years is pushing 60deg. I only hunt down to about 10deg or zero. The usual temperature seems about 20 to 25 deg which is perfect and easy to dress for. Also, I don't hunt in a lot of wind. Never had luck in too much wind.
    Extra cold I take a muffler for the hands, a scarf and booties for the boots. Lately I have been going with wool parka and bibs from Filson and they perform well. I put extra insulated insoles in my Rocky boots and with toe warmers it keeps me warm. I have about 500 miles on my Rocky's and they feel very comfortable.
    I have seen extremes in the Adirondacks and Michigan, but that is unusual. In the Adirondacks I was snowmobiling at -52 deg. In Michigan it got so warm one year I had to pack up early and head home with the deer packed full of ice to keep it cool.

Comment

The last couple years here in WV the temp has been in the high 20's to low 30's at night and getting up to the mid to high 50's in the daytime. I like low 20's in the morning and then high 30's to low 40's in the daytime for the ideal temp.

Comment

Similar to Sarge's temps here in Georgia. Late in the year, I've hunted in the 15 degree range a couple of days in north Georgia. I grew up in South Dakota though so I don't have a minimum. I hunt down to -25 but only because that is as cold as it gets there. We camped for 10 days in below zero weather on a Montana mountain a couple of weeks ago and it was fine. I rarely saw it get above freezing temps for a week and a half out there.

Comment

In Tennessee last year never got real cold and most rifle days wet between 30-40 degrees. I have not found a temperature too cold for me yet I love the days when it is 15-20 degrees it seems to get the deer moving. This year is ridiculously warm for muzzleloader season which I am hunting in today. It is 61 degrees this morning and no deer are moving.

Comment

Having worked outside my whole life lower temperature does not bother me. The only place I draw the line is midwinter Cod fishing. Believe me you do not know what cold is.

PS If I ever get married again it will not be for Love or Money; does she sleewithih the window open.

Comment

in MI its anywhere from 50's and some years it will get all the way down to the 20's. general gun is nowhere near as brutal as muzzleloader season and late bow season.

oh, i dont have a minimum temperature, dress appropriately and weather does not matter.

Comment

Here in PA it has been in the low twenties to 60's at times. Cold does not bother me but I do not hunt in heavy rain or very high winds. Its not worth it to me.

Comment

The last couple years in PA, rifle season's temps have been above normal for the first couple days. We always like to have a fresh snow on the ground for the first day. Last year and the year before it's been like 50-60 and raining for the first week with second week more like pa hunting season with temps in the 20's and snowy. The coldest I can remember hunting was a couple years ago and it was whopping 5 degrees when I went out. I do also hunt late flintlock season that runs into mid January and I have seen single digit temps all day long.

Comment

I've shot deer in Maine in a temp range of 10 - 70 degrees. I would say average is 15- 20 in the morning and 38-45 for a high. I Don't think ive ever quit from temperature. Certainly have from rain though, I don't mind a drizzle or even light to medium rain, but I'm not a big fan of steady down pours, I lose faith in my location quickly when it's hard to hear or see.

Comment

I prefer in the 20-40 deg. range. Nothing better than a cool crisp frosty morning or a snowy day to hunt deer.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to So is everyone ready for deer season
                        by fitch270
                        The kids have already put two deer in the freezer this year so we're pretty well set. I've been out with the bow just once for an evening sit and saw...
                        Today, 07:01 PM
                      • So is everyone ready for deer season
                        by Milldawg
                        With my hectic schedule between work and owning and operating another business now. My shooting and hunting for this year have been shelved. So I am going...
                        Yesterday, 09:20 AM
                      • Reply to Debate #2: new rules
                        by 99explorer
                        Rumor has it that Trump will be bringing a bullhorn to the final debate tonight in Nashville, so he will not have to depend on an open microphone to be...
                        Today, 06:49 PM
                      • Debate #2: new rules
                        by FirstBubba
                        New debate rules change.

Moderator controlled "mute" button.

Who made the request?
                        The "Biden Campaign"!...
                        10-02-2020, 02:10 PM
                      • Reply to Debate #2: new rules
                        by 99explorer
                        I just checked and there are currently 49 users online at the Outdoor Life site.
                        But no political topics in the "Other" forum.
                        We
                        Today, 06:26 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X