Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pray- hunt-work
    replied
    I think they help the land alot! I think they are pretty terrifying for home and land owners, hot shot fire crews and their families, machine operators building fire lanes etc... And for good reason. The ranch I'm on has some burned timber on it, probably about 1,000 of 40,000 acres, and I would just as soon not see it happen again for a while. (it happened two years ago)

Leave a comment:

• Woods Walker
    replied
    Controled burns are critical for grassland/prairie and oak savannah management here in Wis. Otherwise the invader trees (aspen, etc.) move in and convert the open grasslands to forests.

Leave a comment:

• country road
    replied
    Controlled burning is a very valid forestry and wildlife management tool with far more benefits than drawbacks. The public has been so brainwashed re- the Smokey Bear campaign, they are not aware of how good fire can be---even out of control fires such as are being experienced out west can be beneficial in the long (very long from the human point of view)run.

The thing that worries me is continental drift and I think we should all band together to do something about it.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    I agree with your thoughts. New growth offers food for new animals.

Leave a comment:

• kolbster
    replied
    do you think fire is necessary for land management on large tracts of land? the reason i ask this is because there is 1800 acres burning relatively close to where i live. every one i talk to is completely horrified that the North Carolina and US forest service are using back burning to try and contain the fire. no one can understand my point of view when i try and explain how fire is a good thing, it puts nitrogen back in the soil it cuts out dead vegetation and creates a clean slate for new growth. and when controlled burns are done right it can reduce the chance of larger fires that are harder to gain control of. i am 100% for controlled burn as long as you have the right people and your local forest service involved, i think the benefits are tremendous.

Leave a comment:

• what does everyone think of wildland fires, see first post

what does everyone think of wildland fires, see first post

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad