Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i am fixing to buy another rangefinder and was wondering what some on here recommend. i do alot of bow hunting, i also do quite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i am fixing to buy another rangefinder and was wondering what some on here recommend. i do alot of bow hunting, i also do quite

i am fixing to buy another rangefinder and was wondering what some on here recommend. i do alot of bow hunting, i also do quite a bit of long range shooting mostly 500-800yds but also some 1000yd shots i need something that can handle all of this or at least most of it. i tend to be partial to Nikon and Leupold, but am open to other options what does everyone on here use.

For your requirements I would go Leupold all the way.

Comment

I have a Leupold. I have hit objects all the way out to about 950 yards with it. I also use it bowhunting. The only complaint I have is the 6x magnification is a little too much trying to bowhunt. But it would be a plus for long range shooting. Here's why I will always buy Leupold. I had a rangefinder destroyed in a hunting accident. Leupold sent me a brand new one, no questions asked. Hard to beat that kind of customer service.

Comment

I have a nikon riflehunter. No big complaints. The Leupold DNA has ridiculously fast target acquisition. Getting a rangefinder to pick up anything smaller than a cow beyond 750 yards is typically meaning you'll need to spend a bit more money. After having my nikon for a while I do think you get a better product in the Leupold for not much more money.

Comment

I have the Leupold RX-800i TBR. Awsome rangefinder, and like ALJoe said, cant beat their customer service.

Comment

Vortex Ranger 1000. It's 6x, has a 1000 yd, has Vortex excellent optics, and if you do ever break it, Vortex's customer service is just as good if not better than Leupold's.

Comment

Leica. When it comes to rangefinders, it is easily best of the best. Fastest by a long shot, most readable display in any weather conditions, and has Leica glass, not the cheap stuff others use in their rangefinders.

Comment

I still use my 5yr old Bushnell Yard Pro/450 good to 890Yd. I don't shoot any thing past 450yd.
                JMO~~Leupold would be the best choose for your type of Shooting.

Comment

I use a Bushnell Elite 1600 ARC. I use it for ranging rifle shots out to 1200 yards and about any distance measure I need. I've ranged most animals from foxes to buffalo out to 1200 yards just fine. I even used it to lay out the neighbor's garden.

I haven't used the best of the other brands but am elated with this one. I got it used on ebay for about $400. I couldn't be happier.

I range effectively out beyond a mile if I can target trees, ridges, rocks, etc. It snaps the range in less than a second and accounts for my bullet or arrow ballistics, automatically adjusting the holdover and compensating distance for elevation changes. Its killer on the golf course.

It certainly blew all the Nikons out of the water in getting range beyond about 600 yards in this year's hunts. But most of the Nikons were lower level products that had difficulty beyond 300 yards ranging foxes in the open field. Its the only one I have seen that can pick out an antelope or a fox on the prairie at 1000 yards without having to aim at a nearby structure (it's pretty common out there that no such structures exist).

I have learned that when ranging on the open prairie I often have to press the button while moving the image down from the sky or it will pick up the range of a rise in the prairie between me and the target; especially if there are clumps of sage brush sticking up there. This is only necessary when all I can see is the critter's head/ears over a distant rise (say 800 yards away). I think this will be the case with any rangefinder though.

Comment

Assuming you have a budget in mind check out this website I found:
                    www.laserrangefinderreview.com
                    Its a non biased website that compares some of the more popular range finders out there. After tons of research I chose a Bushnell Primos with ARC(the replacement for their Chuck Adams version) Hope this helps

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Visible Voter "fraud"
                      by FirstBubba
                      You have a very great point there, jhjimbo.
                      What we (?) do have is a media that won't expose it for the corruption it is and prefer to hide the...
                      Today, 04:24 PM
                    • Visible Voter "fraud"
                      by FirstBubba
                      First. Note that in Milwaukee, WI, another 386 uncounted votes were found(?).

On to bigger and much more visible evidence.

Yesterday, 10:13 AM
                    • Reply to The happiest of Thanksgivings my friends
                      by rock rat
                      A time to count our blessings. Lots of wood for the stove, kids watching the tube, mom thinking of new ways to grow plants, and more food than we could...
                      Today, 03:25 PM
                    • The happiest of Thanksgivings my friends
                      by dewman
                      Thank you my Lord, for the time we were given to fellowship together here, for however the duration. Thank you for the knowledge passed, the ideas shared,...
                      Today, 08:40 AM
                    • Reply to Copper bullets
                      by rock rat
                      As I understand it lead from paint and lead from leaded gasoline is absorbed into the body much easier, than the bits from game meat. A famous study of...
                      Today, 03:21 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X