Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you guys think about the legalization of crossbows as legal archery equipment? I have mixed feelings about it because I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys think about the legalization of crossbows as legal archery equipment? I have mixed feelings about it because I

What do you guys think about the legalization of crossbows as legal archery equipment? I have mixed feelings about it because I use a compound bow until I fill my buck tag then finish the season with my recurve. Am I a hypocrite to dislike or disagree with use legalization of crossbows.

I injured my string hand so have to use a XBow for a while. I think it should be legal everywhere.

Comment

I believe they should be legal for handicapped hunters.

Comment

I love Arizona's idea on the use of cross bows. To use one in an archery season you need a doctors note saying that you are unable to hold a bow back or draw one then you go into any game and fish office when you buy your hunting permit and they print you a permit that allows for you to hunt with a cross bow that is the same cost of a regular permit.

Comment

I should have included that in my original post. I have always agreed that disabled, elderly, and younger children who cannot yet pull back a bow should be allowed the use of it, but I was basing my comment on legalization for everyone. I live in Kansas and the governor recently legalized crossbows for everyone. On top of that our archery season is from the third week of September-December 31. I feel that it gives a significant edge to crossbow hunters and do not feel that they should be allowed during the entire archery season.

Comment

?????
            Makes no sense what so ever!

Why on earth would you want to restrict crossbows?

Comment

They legalized it here in Virginia a few years back, now I see more crossbow hunters than compound bow hunters, per an earlier article on here, they are definitely a more effective weapon and more user friendly. I don't have a problem with it, because it enables more people and especially more kids and women to get into the sport. I think its like comparing hawken style muzzleloaders to the new inline muzzleloaders, why restrict better technology?

Comment

They are legal in PA. I don't have a problem with them per say. As our hunting population gets older, it keeps more hunters in the field. I'm all for anything that keeps "us" out there.

My only concern is that hunters understand that a crossbow is a rifle or shotgun. It's not even half of one. Just like any other archer, they need to understand the limits of their "bow" in terms of distance, angles, and stopping power. Shot placement is absolutely critical and a hunter can't ever take a low probability shot. A hunter with a crossbow needs to know what those shots are and be willing to pass on them.

Comment

Crossbow isn't a rifle or shotgun....

Comment

I always thought I would like to bow hunt but work didn't allow me the time to practice or bow hunt. Now that I am retired I am too old and have arthritis in my shoulders and can't pull a bow back. I could get a permit here in WV and have my DR. sign it and get a license to hunt with a crossbow but I shouldn't have too I think that everyone should be able to hunt with a crossbow.

Comment

DITTO~~FirstBubba
                      If you look at it! Bow Hunters get the JUMP on Deer Season??? and Wound and Loose more deer then Rifle Hunters! just saying

Comment

Tree
                        In all the years this has been a "controversy", I have yet to hear or see a "logical" or "cognizant" argument as to WHY crossbows should be banned!

Give me a sane, solid reason (there IS none!) crossbows should be banned and I just might agree!
                        Until then, bring on the crossbows!
                        About three years ago, Oklahoma dumped their "doctor's letter" requirement and opened up crossbows to all. Only makes sense!

Comment

I think they should be legal everywhere. I might have got one when I had started hunting if they were legal then. Illinois just made them legal this season.

Comment

Me and the wife move into an apartment after the last transfer. We figured to buy another house after retirement. In an apartment, there is simply no room to practice. So my compound sits and the crossbow (and red dot) go afield.

Comment

An overlooked aspect of legalizing crossbows is just how useful they are at getting youth hunters into hunting. Crossbows open a new door for them, as well handicapped, injured, older hunters, and small framed women as well. It puts all of these people on a level playing field and allows them to participate during a season that they normally could not due to physical limitations.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                                by 99explorer
                                The latest rumors on the pandemic.
                                They have just discovered that drinking cow urine protects against COVID-19.
                                Who'd have thunk it?
                                Today, 10:38 PM
                              • 16 Years
                                by jhjimbo
                                So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                                08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
                              • Reply to 16 Years
                                by 99explorer
                                I love it when I have these guys on the ropes, with each one hoping the other will bail them out.
                                Hey CRM, have you heard any good conspiracy theories
                                Today, 10:19 PM
                              • Reply to Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                                by FirstBubba
                                "... I should have been in Africa yesterday. Damned coronavirus! ..."
                                Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; Today, 06:25 PM.
                                Today, 10:15 PM
                              • Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                                by derek7
                                Hi everyone,

I have one question regarding how to choose the right shotgun for myself. I want a 20 gauge semi auto with interchangeable barrel...
                                08-11-2020, 09:03 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X