Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ok so I have tried several different things to keep my toes from freezing while hunting. The only thing I have not done is buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCBuilder66
    replied
    This is gonna sound funny but it works for me. I'm a rather large man and tend to sweat a lot with little activity. I wear 2 pairs of socks and 800 gram boots. The first pair of socks are high dollar running socks. They absorb and wick all moisture away from your feet. Makes sense right runners avoid blisters by keeping their feet dry. The second pair of socks are cotton to absorb the running socks moisture (cotton if it is warmer 30-50 degrees) if it is colder than that I wear down or wool socks over the running socks. My feet stay dry and warm while sitting. Give it a try and tell me what you think. I have also tried the hot hands socks and foot warders but they make my feet sweat badly and the bottoms of my feet still end up getting cold, the running socks made all the difference for me.

Leave a comment:

• iamsam68
    replied
    Odorless antiperspirant on your feet helps too.

Leave a comment:

• Pray- hunt-work
    replied
    How much bread would one have to eat to hunt every day? J/k I'm not opposed to the method, but would tend to say it is only for people with heavy sweating feet. Who ever mentioned the air space in the boot nailed it from my perspective! Working on the ocean in -10 F is absolutely brutal in tight boots. Switch to something a 1/2 size or whole size larger and your feet warm up immensely! Not only that, but you stand a better chance of getting them off in the water and not being drowned by your boot in the unlucky event you become a swimmer.

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    I thought my late father in law was the only redneck from Mississippi that used bread sacks with leaky cheap boots! Also put a Walmart plastic bag under his mesh-back ball cap to keep his head dry. Go figure. LOL

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    You southern fair weather hunters need to have some respect for a fella who regularly hunted big game in -20 and even on occasion -30C conditions. But, of course, I wasn't sitting on my arse either. Still have all my fingers and toes.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    The bread sacks keep the sweat within the cotton socks. That way the wool socks and insulated boots stay dry and preserve their insulation properties. Feet are going to sweat no matter what. And sweat is not going to evaporate in an enclosed insulated boot. So, keep the moisture confined as much as possible and let the rest of the boot/socks do their job. Wicking moisture away from the skin doesn't help in the long run if the insulation does the wicking and winds up getting soaked.

Leave a comment:

• jay
    replied
    No cotton socks period!!

Leave a comment:

• nitroheel
    replied
    I purchased a pair of insulated boot covers (looks like a huge Christmas socking) Once I climb into my stand I slide my boots in the covers and my feet stay warm and toasty. I highly recommend them for cold hunts

Leave a comment:

• .30-06Hunter
    replied
    I bought a pair of Danner Pronghorn 1000 gram boots about 4 years ago they are extremely comfortable and keep my feet warm it seems no matter how cold it gets if it is in the 30's I wear just a thick pair of socks with them I it is 20's and below I wear a regular pair of crew socks under a pair of heavy wool socks. I have a decent walk to most of my hunting spots and I don't find them too heavy.

Leave a comment:

• Sarge01
    replied
    I didn't read kolbster's post before I posted mine. I will have to disagree with him on the grams of Thinsulate. I have a pair of Cabelas Whitetail Extreme 600 gram Thinsulate boots and a pair of Whitetail Extreme 1200 gram Thinsulate boots and in cold weather they are the difference between day and night. The 1200 gram boots are twice as warm as the 600 grams boots. I found this out sitting in a pop up blind when the temp is around 20 degrees. Like I posted above the Artic Shield booties are worth their weight in gold and they are easy to put in your pack till you get to your stand. As thin as they are I don't know how they are as warm as they are.

Leave a comment:

• allegnmtn
    replied
    I'm also a Smart Wool heavy fan. They also last forever. Wear liner socks only in to your stand and then put the heavy socks on in the stand. (If your feet are wet, they will get cold). Also, boot/toe warmers are the way to go. If you're feet are still cold put a hand warmer down your boot right in back of the knob on your ankle. As your sitting, flex your toes often.

Leave a comment:

• Sarge01
    replied
    I use the Cabelas Whitetail Extreme 1200 gram Thinsulate boots. They are not heavy and I find them to be warm. I always had trouble keeping my feet warm. Also when I get to my stand I put my Artic Shield booties over them. The Artic Shield booties are light enough to carry in your pack and I couldn't believe how warm they keep your feet.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    beers,
    The Smart Wool heavy's are great. I have the heavy hunting and heavy hiking. Do put on silk or poly socks first as liners. That way your feet will stay dry. Make sure your boots are dry when you put them on in the AM. I have the electric boot dryers at camp and it works great.
    I have heard from friends the electric socks work real good - i think they are about $30.

Leave a comment:

• Hobob
    replied
    I wear the military "mickey mouse boots" rated to way below freezing. They are worth the extra weight and my feet NEVER get cold. They are heavy but to me its worth it.

Leave a comment:

• beers123
    replied
    I have seen the ThermaCell insoles but I have not heard anything good or bad. So I am reluctant to spend $130 on a trial. The leather hunting boots are laced loose and there is nothing that I can do with the rubber boots.

I always have thought that the battery socks were kinda a gimmick never tried them though.

I just seen these SmartWool Hunting Extra Heavy Hiking Socks - Grey on Amazon and have thought about giving these a try.

Has anyone tried these specific sock?

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad