Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is in your hunting pack, from calls to a lunch time snack to a book what does everyone carry in there pack for stand huntin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longrifle
    replied
    Farm country, weapon and ammo, water, snacks/lunch, grunt and can, knife and small "dog bone" sharpening rod, dragging rope, small headlamp. Lately I have been carrying binos. Gutting gloves and ziplock sandwich bag of paper towels for cleaning up and use as tp. A pillow would be appropriate as I am not adverse to a nap if the sun comes out. Sometimes just a weapon and I have had to hike back to the truck to get my knife and rope.

In big woods add 2 or 3 compasses, gps, map, small roll of flagging tape. qt ziplock survival/overnight bag with lighter, large strike on anything matches, 2 small candles, 2 55gal drum bags/liners, whistle, wax firestarter sticks, flint striker.

As the years go by I travel lighter and lighter.

Just a note, paper towels are way more useful than tp. Especially after last nights venison chili and ale.

Leave a comment:

• IND_NRA
    replied
    The main thing that I take is toilet paper! Other then that i have a couple of calls, some snacks, and reading material. Everything else is straped to me or I don't need it.

Leave a comment:

• IND_NRA
    replied
    The main thing that I take is toilet paper! Other then that i have a couple of calls, some snacks, and reading material. Everything else is straped to me or I don't need it.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    I usually hunt deer from a stand in the south. I bring water, snack, knife (on my belt), rifle, a few bullets in a quiet pack on my belt) and a Primos can call.

If I am hunting elk in strange territory at reasonable distance from camp, I add binoculars, a compass, trail markers, GPS, water purifier, lighter, a little parachute cord and toilet paper. If the location involves long range shooting, I add a range finder.

Leave a comment:

• .30-06Hunter
    replied
    I carry a large pack so I can carry my coveralls into the woods and not burn up walking in with them.
    Inside I keep:
    2 small flashlights
    5 foot section of rope
    Buck 110 folding knife
    Leatherman Wave tool
    Field dressing gloves
    Gallon size zip lock bag for heart
    Bottle of raccoon urine for cover scent
    Candy bar
    Gloves and insulated face mask

Leave a comment:

• Sarge01
    replied
    Teodoro,
    The Judge is just in case I have a crippled deer on the ground and don't want to use my 300WSM to finish him off . I never have had to use it but just in case. I guess the real reason is "just because I can". Our black bears are more afraid of me than I am of them.

Leave a comment:

• antlerfreak34
    replied
    I usually carry my grunt tube, headlight and flashlight, two knives, gutting gloves, extra hat and extra gloves for walking in/out, binoculars, paracord, a dragging rope, scent elimination spray for after the walk in as well as a scent deodorizing face foam, and last but definitely not least a bottle of water.

Leave a comment:

• Teodoro
    replied
    Sarge,

Out of curiosity, what's the utility of the judge? Is it for popping squirrels with .410, or bear protection, or both? Or just for fun?

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    OH,
    I just weighed my pack - without the coffee and food and ammo, it is about 7 1/2 lbs. I don't think that is bad. I have been lost in the Adirondacks and spent the night so I go prepared.
    On my own land, most of this stuff is on my ATV so I travel light.

Leave a comment:

• beers123
    replied
    Holy cow you guys must be going way off the grid with some of the stuff you are carrying. I mainly stand hunt for deer and I carry.

Grunt tube doe can 2 knives cause I will lose things, scent wafers a flashlight a rangefinder and my coat a lot of times because I will sweat walking in. I generally don't hunt all day because I get way to bored so that helps when I get hungry, so generally no need for sandwiches. Oh and generally my quiver is in my pack also.

Leave a comment:

• beers123
    replied
    Holy cow you guys must be going way off the grid with some of the stuff you are carrying. I mainly stand hunt for deer and I carry.

Grunt tube doe can 2 knives cause I will lose things, scent wafers a flashlight a rangefinder and my coat a lot of times because I will sweat walking in. I generally don't hunt all day because I get way to bored so that helps when I get hungry, so generally no need for sandwiches. Oh and generally my quiver is in my pack also.

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    GPS if I'm hunting an unfamiliar area to mark location of downed game, compass always, snacks, one sandwich, lighter, tinder/firestarter, spare gloves, dry socks, flagging tape, skinning knife, flashlight, 30 ft of 550 cord, nitrile gloves. All of that less than 7 pounds in a pack vest. 5 rounds of ammo in a leather belt carrier and elk calls around my neck with 550 cord.

Leave a comment:

• SCBuilder66
    replied
    My pack contains 2 sandwiches, 2 bottles of water, a set of antlers, a primos buck roar, a primos doe can, code blue doe estrus, 3 scent wicks, one of my benchmade skinners, a sharpening stone, a firestarter, a case pocket knife, matches, 300 feet of paracord, a thermal blanket, nails, bushnell bone collector bino's, 2 snickers bars, a travel pack of TP, a mag lite, and red lense blood tracking light, 1 MRE, and three 1 gallon ziplock bags.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Gad, jimbo! You'll need that GPS and a map to find all the stuff in your pack! And maybe a forklift to get it into the stand?

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Spare gloves and socks. Surgeon gloves. Extra knife and small hatchet. Large zip lock bags for heart and liver. Unscented baby wipes. Spare compass. Combination match container, whistle, striker, mirror. Lighter. Various calls. Radio with ear bud. Lip gloss. Spare glasses(sun). Small first aid kit with ace bandage. lunch with several snacks. Para cord and nails. Deer drag harness. Emergency nylon orange tarp. Emergency blanket. Range finder and bino's. Extra shells. Topo. Rule book. Note paper and low temp pen. Fire starter. Water tablets. Thermos. Knife sharpener. Small light to find things in my pack. Permits. GPS. Extra batteries. scarf or balaclava. Metal canteen cup. Folding clean rod for rifle hunting. Extra pills.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad