Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Went out hunting today during muzzleloader season and encountered a problem I have ran into several times, maybe some of y'all h

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Went out hunting today during muzzleloader season and encountered a problem I have ran into several times, maybe some of y'all h

Went out hunting today during muzzleloader season and encountered a problem I have ran into several times, maybe some of y'all have some ideas for it. I was hunting from a ground blind and had a young buck come in to my side about 15 feet away. Befor I was able to shoulder my gun he knew something was not right and began dropping his head and raising it trying to get me to move. I kept watching him out of the corner of my eye and not looking straight at him. The wind was in my favor but he ended up bolting away without me getting a shot. I have had this happen several times over the years and never found a good solution for this. Most times I at least have about 20 to 30 yards distance and can wait till they move behind a tree to make my move.

Male bovine fecal matter occurs!

Comment

Freeze and don't move sometimes they go back to feeding or look away, easier said than done by me. Even when I don't spook them by rushing I fall for the old, buck pretends to feed while watching me out of the corner of his eye. That one always gets me to move thinking its been long enough.

Comment

Deer do that when they can't figure out what you are, just stay still! Want to have some real fun!!! Do the same to a deer at a distance, I've had them walk right up into bow range, funny as hell!

Comment

You got busted. More camo. Consider camo on your face. More camo around the outside of the blind, maybe some on the inside. Stage some feed or scent 10 to 15 yds away from the blind in a couple locations. You are right, you can not move or look a deer in the eye when they are looking at you. He IS trying to get you to move to confirm his instinct of danger. Wait him out is all you can do. Good luck in future encounters.

Comment

Were you by any chance wearing a cologne called "Obsession for Men?" Wildlife experts in Guatemala found that its musky odor sparks curiosity with jaguars, that are lured into camera range to check out the scent.

Comment

A couple of things: 1) are you using the ground blind in the same spot? If so LEAVE IT THERE so it "becomes part of the woods" 2) set up a scent or decoy away from you 20 yards to 30 yards away (depending on wind) to get their attention away from you 3)Say the word BURP - that will get them to freeze for just an extra second 4)If they are staring you down, you just have to relax and not move; they will try and "fake you out" by looking down and then back up quickly or stomping or "barking"... just be patient.

Comment

You have it figured out as far as the deer moving its head to try and make you, but a lot of the time what it comes down to is the light reflecting off of you inside of the blind. I have hunted out of a blind for a few years now and I think I figured out what gives me away. If you do not wear a head cover, I would try that. When the sun is in your face they can see the odd reflection inside the shadow of the blind. The next thing is to make sure you camouflage your blind. put some limbs or grass around it to make it blend in. Deer can see a new blob sticking out of nowhere. Finally the most recognizable thing for deer, and turkey is your face/eyes. If you are still concerned with the head cover not doing it for you paint your face. Just a couple of black or brown lines on your cheek will work wonders. Try it out and you will like your results.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Visible Voter "fraud"
                  by 99explorer
                  I like this excerpt from the link to The Amerrican Thinker:

"The burden is now on the “coronation crowd” and the courts.
                  All of...
                  Today, 04:05 PM
                • Visible Voter "fraud"
                  by FirstBubba
                  First. Note that in Milwaukee, WI, another 386 uncounted votes were found(?).

On to bigger and much more visible evidence.

Today, 10:13 AM
                • Reply to Voter Fraud
                  by 99explorer
                  The reason Trump drew so much support from the black community is that Biden's Crime Bill of 1994 had put so many of the brothers behind bars.
                  Today, 03:37 PM
                • Voter Fraud
                  by bowhunter75richard
                  For those who claim voter fraud is not happening......Google The Heritage Foundation/election fraud cases ! All states are listed.......it just might...
                  11-06-2020, 08:01 PM
                • Reply to Voter Fraud
                  by bowhunter75richard
                  When uneducated people continue to vote for the man instead of the agenda of a party, we will continue to see the BS that is being reported to us after...
                  Today, 02:23 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X