Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opening Day Michigan Gun Season Is Friday. I believe I have got everything prepared and ready. Has anyone had any luck on there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tleichty1989
    replied
    My first opening day hunt started with me falling asleep against a tree. I awoke at about first light to the sound of crashing as a buck was running right for me. I quickly picked up the gun and shot two rounds at the charging deer. As it was running past I emptied the gun. In all the excitement I hit the deer three times and it fell dead no more than 25 yards from were I was sleeping. Never had so much adrenaline in all my life. Ha

Leave a comment:

• SCBuilder66
    replied
    Our firearm opener doesn't start until December, but I arrowed my personal best whitetail last week. He is a 160 class bruiser. I was in my stand and the wind shifted in the afternoon. I took a risk and left my stand with my antlers and bow in hand. I sat in some brush about 30 yards down the trail. As I sat I heard a monster fight. They were behind me and behind some cedars. I didn't want to move and spook them so I sat until the fight broke. As soon as it did I started rattling and grunting. The bruiser came charging in and passed me. I grunted again and he came back to stop at 12 yards away. It was somewhat unnerving because he was so agressive, but he offered a great broadside shot and I was lucky enough to tag my best trophy buck.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    I got a 10pt on opening day a few minutes after the season opened. I was on the side of a little hill watching 300yds one way and 400 the other. A clear cut for a pipe line. The deer came out about 30yds in front of me. The .300WbyMag did it's job and the deer was dead before it hit the ground about 30' from where it was standing.

Leave a comment:

• SD_Whitetail_Hntr
    replied
    My very first year being old enough to hunt deer I had been practicing with my dad's 6mm Winchester. 2 weeks before opener my mom surprises me with my own rifle. A savage 110 in .243. I sighted it in the first day I got it and had about 2 boxes of shells through it before opener. The night before opening morning a farmer calls my dad and told him he's got a nice buck roaming around his hay field in the morning when he's feeding cattle. So that's where we head. We climb onto a haystack that overlooks the field and wait for sunrise. Deer start moving through the field at first light and there was a nice 8pt that was mulling around from the time we could see. As we waited around for shooting light we kept glassing around the field. I was just looking through my scope and in the far corner of the field, just the antlers were sticking up on the other side of the fence line. I pointed it out to my dad, and he said, "Now that's the one!" We sat and waited and just before sunrise he stood up and jumped the fence. Slowly walking down to the middle of the field. He got to about 125 yards and stood there broadside. First pull of a trigger while pointed at a deer and he dropped right where he stood. As we were celebrating he stood back up and took 2 steps but then he crashed for good. I didn't even realize how nice he was. Measured 147" and he was as perfectly semetrical as they come with the exception of a 1" sticker on his G2. My dad got me a shoulder mount of him as my christmas and birthday present. That was by far my easiest hunt and largest deer to date. This year I'm feeling lucky.. haha

Leave a comment:

• FrugeBlues
    replied
    Our opening day in my area in Louisiana was October 19th. I got a large doe and button buck both on opening day. The following weekend I got a spike. This past saturday I let a young half rack go then didn't see anything else. All the bucks have gone from my cam. And to add to it yesterday while hunting I was graced with the presence of a bobcat, who decided the best place to relax was directly under my feeder... It was nice to just watch him though. But all in all I think my hunting season is over for this year.

Leave a comment:

• JRE716
    replied
    Well opening day has almost arrived, my shotgun has been sighted in, ground blind finished and stocked. Had some problems with my new 870 Express while sighting in so I am back to my ol' trusty. I saw 4 different bucks chasing doe this weekend and was pretty happy with the quality of deer I was seeing. Hunting camp has been set up and plans are in the making for meals. Should be a great day and I can't wait to spend time with family and friends on this wonderful "holiday". Whether it be hunting, tracking, deer camp, or just telling stories around the fire be sure to enjoy the great outdoors...

Leave a comment:

• Opening Day Michigan Gun Season Is Friday. I believe I have got everything prepared and ready. Has anyone had any luck on there

Opening Day Michigan Gun Season Is Friday. I believe I have got everything prepared and ready. Has anyone had any luck on there opening day. Or any other exciting stories you would like to tell about your upcoming or past opening days... See first comment for mine.

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad