Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My wife and I had a great time camping and hunting last week. The wind blew, it rained, sleeted and snowed. The temps. were fr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My wife and I had a great time camping and hunting last week. The wind blew, it rained, sleeted and snowed. The temps. were fr

My wife and I had a great time camping and hunting last week. The wind blew, it rained, sleeted and snowed. The temps. were from 15 degrees with 30 mph winds to high temps of 55. We saw a lot of deer and I shot a nice buck on out last day. Big and heavy and I think he was an older one. Anyone know how to tell the age of a mule deer?

Others here will argue, but short of witnessing a fawns borth?
    No.
    A deer rancher turn several deer jaws over to a wildlife department.
    The rancher knew the exact age of each deer. The attending deer "experts" aged exactly ONE of twenty jaws correctly!
    Where I take most of my deer, the soil is a deep sandy loam. Deer's teeth wear excessively. Tooth aging those deer is next to impossible.

Comment

BTW! Congrats on the kill and sounds like you and the "boss" had a great time!

Comment

Nice deer. Where were you camping?

Comment

I live in the San Luis Valley in Colorado. I was camped on the western side of Mt. Blanca.

Comment

Awesome country!
            I lived in Pagosa Spgs one winter! That was enough for this flatlander! LOL!
            The winter of '83-'84 I witnessed a total accumulated snowfall of 869 inches!
            We didn't see thawed ground until late May!

Comment

Judging the exact age is very difficult. I take several things into account: tooth wear which is an inexact science. Body size and shape, a sagging belly and back usually denotes a deer with some age upon him. Congrats on the buck, hope my two cents was helpful.

Comment

twoforkes,
                I had an invitation to hunt north of Durango several years ago. The cabin was around 5,000'.
                Unfortunately I regret I could not make it happen at that time.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                  by 99explorer
                  I love posting factual comments that can only be answered by personal insults from the other side.
                  It's like taking candy from a baby!
                  Today, 09:56 PM
                • 16 Years
                  by jhjimbo
                  So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                  08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
                • Reply to 16 Years
                  by crm3006
                  From #1 Bubba- "What you two clowns know about immigration law and citizenship requirements wouldn't fill a sewing thimble."

Hey,...
                  Today, 09:51 PM
                • Reply to Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                  by crm3006
                  What? Exposed your ignorance about Auto 5s, did I, little man? Gonna pout, and hold your breath 'til you turn blue?
                  Today, 09:45 PM
                • Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                  by derek7
                  Hi everyone,

I have one question regarding how to choose the right shotgun for myself. I want a 20 gauge semi auto with interchangeable barrel...
                  08-11-2020, 09:03 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X