Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deformed Racks, HELP! This season I have at least 7 different bucks that have been visiting my feeder. Sounds great except they

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deformed Racks, HELP! This season I have at least 7 different bucks that have been visiting my feeder. Sounds great except they

Deformed Racks, HELP! This season I have at least 7 different bucks that have been visiting my feeder. Sounds great except they are all have some sort of deformed antlers. I have one called "Ugly" he is an older cow-horned spike, one called "Half-Rack" he too is an older buck with 4 pts on one side and just a main beam on the other. I just recently killed a 4pt/3pt/spike whatever you wanna call him. Then I have one that looks like a prong horn. One that is a spike with forked ends. One that just has one side of a rack, and then finally a decent 6 point

There are pictures of these deer on my profile.

Comment

You need to get those bucks out of there. They are spreading bad genes.
      After you thin them out start putting out mineral and vitamin blocks and you may start developing some nice typical's. I am assuming there is a good supply of regular food around for them.
      We had to do that with basket rack 6 and 8pt's, took 5-8 years to see the results but now have nice 10-12 pt typical.
      Good luck

Comment

Thanks, my fiance farms around that area. This year they had soybeans and corn.
        Do you think if we set up food plots for them and set out salt blocked they could come back in a couple of years corrected?
        Also someone mentioned that if they had a lot of tick on them it could cause them to deform that like? What do you think? Did you go look at them?

Comment

Thanks, my fiance farms around that area. This year they had soybeans and corn.
          Do you think if we set up food plots for them and set out salt blocked they could come back in a couple of years corrected?
          Also someone mentioned that if they had a lot of tick on them it could cause them to deform that like? What do you think? Did you go look at them?

Comment

there wound be any nuclear power plants or chemical factories near by? Secret Government lab down the road per chance?

Comment

So ive been told, a deer with an injury on it's Left leg for example, may lose antler growth on that same side as they steal nutrition to heal said injury. From my understanding they are lateral in their method. Although I doubt all your deer have been injured, it remains an interesting detail. I would certainly blame bad genetics and use a special harvest method over the next two or three years. As you remove the bad genetics, you should see a yearly improvement. There is a gentlemen who goes by Bioguy around here somewhere. He would be able to give you MUCH more detail. And might even call me a liar about some of the things I've mentioned.

Comment

The Bucks you see are(my Guess)Fighters!And said by Pray-hunt-work: Injury's to the Bucks can Cause Erratic Antler Growths. I have come a cross only Two Bucks with erratic antlers like that in 54Yr of Deer Hunting One Buck had a Arrow Shaft brok-off in His Neck and the skin grow over it, The other Buck had Spinal Damage from a larger Buck or a Bullet.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad