Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey guys just looking for some advice on what to do here. I've been hunting a new stand recently here in Maryland. I've got a fe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey guys just looking for some advice on what to do here. I've been hunting a new stand recently here in Maryland. I've got a fe

Hey guys just looking for some advice on what to do here. I've been hunting a new stand recently here in Maryland. I've got a few nice bucks on camera a big wide 8 point and tall 9 point. I've only hunted the stand twice and I have been busted by a doe both times?! She comes in and smells or sees me and runs off snort wheezing. And also today I had a 4 point come in and as I stood up to shoot he ran off. I noticed his nose in the air and twitching also. But it looked like he also saw me. I'm in a tree stand at 20 feet. I don't really have any branches for cover up there either. Thanks in advance! -Jake .

where is the wind coming from??? Also some branches are a must. a good way to add branches is to put limbs on the bottom of your stand and to attach them to the tree with webbing. the key is to have something to break up your outline.

Comment

You can also use camouflage cloth around your tree stand to hide your silhouette.

My brothers and I pick up old green artificial Christmas trees and reefs from the neighborhood trash after the holidays.

Tie a few of the Christmas tree branches up around your tree stand. They stay green and never die or fade like the real branches.

When the deer look up they see one big mass in the tree. It far better then seeing a moving outline of a human predator.

I was use “Code Blue Doe in Estrus” scent under your tree stand. Bucks can’t resist that stuff.

Comment

sorry, would use instead of was use.

Comment

If you are 20' above the eye level of the doe, that is one smart doe. Sounds like she and the buck have been conditioned to look up for possible danger. Are there a lot of archery hunters in your area?
          Anyway, as others have said, camo and scent control are going to be your only answer.

Comment

Jake, you shouldn't be running into an issue of being seen. The other comments about breaking up your outline wouldn't hurt but I've never found that necessary. I'd say your scent is having more effect. Before I started taking scent control very seriously, I got busted a number of times if I took a chance on a wind that wasn't right. Which brings me to the next point, every single one of my stands is set up with a certain wind in mind. If you know common travel paths of deer around this stand, you ONLY hunt that stand if the wind is right. It can be frustrating but the last thing you want to do is start conditioning the deer to smell human any time they walk by a certain area. That will kill your chances.

Comment

If they developed to know where your set up is. Change it and practice good scent control. If there is a pile of brush or logs near by set up in those to have some cover. It is an every day brush or log pile to them but they will not suspect it to be a threat of a ground blind. Just be sure that they are not bedded down really close or in it.

Comment

Thanks for all the great answers guys! I'm am the only person hunting this land. and for what I know the first person to be hunting it. I'm planning on brushing in my stand better tomorrow and also hang another stand near buy so I can hunt it if the wind is wrong.

Comment

Jake, report back how you make out. Jim

Comment

You have to watch the wind and I would try and leave that stand there - they are obviously noticing a "change in the landscape".

In this instance I would seriously recommend using a decoy or at least something like a "buck bomb" or other scent.

Also - are you making sure you have cover scent on and in use? Don't be carrying your home scents with you.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad