Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I shot my first deer with my bow today. a forkhorn, but missing the other antler. looks like it didn't even grow. the shot was a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I shot my first deer with my bow today. a forkhorn, but missing the other antler. looks like it didn't even grow. the shot was a

I shot my first deer with my bow today. a forkhorn, but missing the other antler. looks like it didn't even grow. the shot was at 5 yards and slightly quartering away. he ran 150 yards and piled up in a creek bed, about 80 yards from my stand. how is deer season going for everyone? for those of you who bow hunt, how did you get your first with your bow? looking forward to some great stories.

Yesterday a button buck fed into range and just as I released he moved resulting in a gut shot. No problem he only went 30 yards. Moments later a large spike came in and sniffed the just killed deer. Could have taken him but saving my anydeer tag for a buck with a rack. This was bow kill #16 for me. The Rage 2 blade broadhead cut such a large hole the entrails fell out. Love that broadhead.

Comment

Sorry forgot to say congrats on your first

Comment

Well congrats on the deer buddy. Im here in VA and so far the season has been alittle slow and i think its due to the warm weather. But in about the last 2 weeks they have been moving more frequently. Best of luck to ya.

Comment

congrats on the deer. My season is going pretty good with at least plenty of deer on the trail cameras. I shot my first deer last year. I got him with a bow . Me and a friend climbed up our tree and set up and about seven minutes later we grunted and my 6 pt buck came in. I shot him at 35 yards and put him down. Got it all on film too.

Comment

Congrats on your first habben, I took my first with a bow last year at 12yds. She walked/fed her way right in front of me and I took the shot and she ran about 100yds before piling up near some haystacks. I've had a pretty good season so far this year. I took my first two animals with a rifle, both pronghorn does, they were awesome hunts. I quartered and packed the 1st one out about 2miles. The second I gutted and dragged about 1.5miles through the snow. Then a t the end of last week I took my second whitetail with a bow. She walked along a trail that followed right under my stand, turned broadside at 8yds and I stopped her with a soft grunt. Took the shot and put the arrow right through the heart, she ran about 40yds and piled up right in the middle of the road we drove in on. Best wishes to everyone else on their seasons.

Comment

i should clarify that this isn't my first deer, just first with archery equipment. 5th overall. click profile to see pics of them.

Comment

I was 19 years old when I finally got into archery hunting. After practicing all summer my first hunt was going to be a stand sit. I skipped my Friday afternoon college classes and headed back home with just enough time to get in the stand for an evening sit. I literally attached my harness, nocked an arrow, and sat down. By that time I heard crunching leaves. Stood up and grabbed my bow just in time to catch him walking in from behind me. Barely had enough time to even think. Drew back and released on in what seemed to be a pretty good spot. He ran off out of the trees and over a small hill. We found a great blood trail so we peaked up over the hill and there he lay. Really neat rack. 4x4 frame but his G2's forked almost exactly like a mule deer, so a 5x5 and we scored him around 125 but didn't do it official. I've gotten 3 better than that and one smaller guy since then. Love it.

Congrats on your first and welcome to the addiction.

Comment

Congratulations on your first bow kill.

Arrowed my first deer in 1982. It was a stocky 9pt which wandered too close to my tree. I was set up at a well used creek crossing sitting on a 2x4 wedged into the notch of a tree. I was wearing jeans and a flannel shirt. The shot was a little far at @40 yards but months of practice paid off and the flight of the arrow was true. The mount and the memory are still hanging on my wall to this day.

Comment

I got my first deer with a bow in 1970. I was using a Bear Grizzly recurve and Bear broadheads. The 8pt came up from behind me walking WITH the wind and was about 15yds.

Comment

Congrats, killing a deer with your bow is the most emaculate feeling I've felt since killing my first deer in general. I killed my first deer with a bow 3 seasons ago. It was a nice mature doe that fed into range. 36 yard shot, double lung. This deer season has been quick. I killed a decent 2 1/2 year old buck with my bow early in the season. I feel like Im almost missing out on the a whole aspect of deer season, that aspect being the rut. oh well, Ill get after them with my gun here in a few weeks. I must warn you bowhunting is full of ups and downs. last year I was about to quit bow hunting in general but after this season I have to say the highs outweigh the lows. All I can say is backout when in doubt, Ive never regreted backing out.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad