Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im looking into starting a cheap food plot for next season it would be in a clearing in the woods and im wondering the cheapest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im looking into starting a cheap food plot for next season it would be in a clearing in the woods and im wondering the cheapest

Im looking into starting a cheap food plot for next season it would be in a clearing in the woods and im wondering the cheapest way to do this with minimal equipment one tractor and push mowers ha no problem working hard at it but would like some tips on where to start and when to start

you might look into the idea of seed balls (Fukuoka balls)

Comment

me and my grandfather put a food plot on our property about 5 years ago, you should start it next spring. get an early start. turn the dirt over then, give it a week to dry, depending on your weather. then rurn it over again, the weather starts warming up again, is when you should plant. the moral here, is start as early as you can, so all your vegetation, that you are planting has enough time before deer season to sprout, grow, and do its thing. also, try planting alfalfa, clover, and winter wheat, ive gotten the best results in my plot, with the three of them. you'll be bringing in deer, from everywhere, along with turkeys, and other critters, if you enjoy watching the wildlife, it sure attracts alot.

Comment

also, when you are seading your plot, try and get some natural spreading salt. deer are always looking for something salty, unlike humans, deer have to have alot of salt to survive. its just a necessity for deer.

Comment

spray with roundup or equivalent a couple of times prior to planting. will help with competition

Comment

theres an excellent product called throw n grow that is designed to enable anybody to grow a small food plot virtually anywhere that gets consistent sunlight

Comment

Just make sure to plant what will thrive in your area, what will thrive in a western winter may not thrive in an eastern winter. If in eastern United States I like sugar beet or turnips because they hit the tops in the early season. Late season they are hard up for food and start digging the roots and tear them out of the ground. If you plant grasses, alfalfa, or clover maintain it some to get best results. Mow the plot to keep it full and rich, it helps keep the weeds under control. Make sure you take a soil sample to see the nutrition level of your soil. You can do this by taking samples to a grain elevator that sells seed and fertilizer, which can set you up with fertilizers and give you a good idea what guys are planting for deer. They are a lot cheaper then getting ready mix seed blend from your local stores. Taking the samples you need to take a couple samples form several parts of the plot and mixing them to get a good base sample. Hope this work, good luck with your food plot, putting in the work will pay off in the end.

Comment

thanks guys good tips ill be taking all these tips into consideration on the throw and grow ive heard of it how much preparation does it require

Comment

i do believe it doesnt take much at all. you pretty much just do what its saying, throw and grow. i would probably take a garden rake out, and just rake up an area, down to the soil, that suits your size. then just throw and grow.

Comment

You need to do your research on what will grow the best in your area. Some of the stuff you can plant will require more effort and others less. In Aug. i started a plot for buckwheat. Which was fairly easy and doesnt require anything really. Now I have good looking plots that will survive the frost and cold.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad