Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A couple of questions: first, what is the best time of day to hunt rabbits and squrriels and what are some of you favorite techn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple of questions: first, what is the best time of day to hunt rabbits and squrriels and what are some of you favorite techn

A couple of questions: first, what is the best time of day to hunt rabbits and squrriels and what are some of you favorite techniques? It seems almost as though they know I have gun and only come out once I put it away. Second, I have a few horses and periodically throughout the year I have an electric fence up around an area where there is grass for them to eat. I know deer use this area also. I'm going to take it down since deer season is close, but will having had it there make the deer not want to come there again at all? Thx beforehand, Humane.

The best time to hunt is when you can get in the woods. Seriously, I have gotten them at all time of the day.
    The deer will adjust to the fence removal in a few days to a few weeks.

Comment

Go out in the morning before light, and sit down in the woods where you have seen squirrels previously. They should come out when it gets light. You should get at least a couple shots at some squirrels. About an hour after sunrise, go walk around in open areas around brush. These are the times and instances where I see the most squirrels and bunnies. I don't know what to tell you about the fence.

Comment

If a deer wants to go somewhere, a hot-wire fence usually won't stop them. Answer A; remove the fence. Answer B; if you don't want to take the fence up you could just push the insulators down the post so the wire is 12-18 inches off the ground. That would save you the work of having to take the fence up and the deer will just step over it, although it would be a good idea to dis-connect that stretch of fence from the charger.

Comment

Red Angus is correct. A hot fence never stopped deer unless it was eight feet tall. Just shut off the charger. Take down the fence if you wish but I don't think it will make a difference. If the deer stopped coming to that place it was probably for another reason.

Comment

you can change just about anything in the woods, without pushing the deer away. as long as your not clear cutting logs out of your wood lot, you should push the deer away, and removing that fence for the season, might just make it an easier route for them, or it might not, i would just slide the insulators down close towards the ground, and just unplug it for the deer season, if not a deer might step on it, get a shock, and then, that would be whats pushing them away.

Comment

also, take a hand full of corn, and put it in a previous area where you've seen squirrel activity, each night i go out bow hunting, i have 3 squirrels come into my bait pile and eat off my corn, until the deer come in and spook'em. i do advise not to walk around, and shoot your guns any where near your deer hunting blind. that will just make the deer nocturnal, and stay out of that area. id stay at least 200 yards from your deer stand just to be safe. and for the rabbits, right now is a good time to go hunting for them, its about that time of year, where the rabbits change color, so just look under pine trees, for what looks like a big while cotton ball. or under anything a small animal would feel safe under. good luck, i hope i gave you some working advise worth trying.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad