Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

for those of you who hunt public land, how do you tell a mock scrape from the real thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• for those of you who hunt public land, how do you tell a mock scrape from the real thing?

for those of you who hunt public land, how do you tell a mock scrape from the real thing?

I walked up on two huge buck scrapes on state land a few days ago. I had my game cart and I was taking my bear bait deep in the woods.

The wet leaves were matted down around both scrapes from the early morning frost. You could see large hoof prints in the scrape that kicked dirt outside on top of the leaves two feet away.

These scrapes were deep inside the ground then other scrapes in spotted earlier. One scrape had an over hanging tree limb the size of a one inch pipe broken in half.

Comment

Smell them, if you notice a presence of budlight or coffee you know you've been had. No, in seriousness, a real scrape often has just what Gary mentioned, a licking branch above and or a hoof print in it.

Comment

Usually there are hoof prints clearly visible in a real scrape. Also it seems to me like does and/or young deer often poop in scrapes. Anyone else notice that? I freshen real and mock scrapes with a combination of my own and buck and doe urine.

Comment

If it is right beside an easy trial to get to, MOCK. Deep in the bush: REAL

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad