Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm looking to do a DYI Mule deer or Antelope hunt this next year. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start/ what stat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JRE716
    replied
    Thank you all. Not sure where I will be headed yet but always looking for your expert input

Leave a comment:

• Pray- hunt-work
    replied
    Because of high CWD levels on muleys, I would go on an antelope hunt here in Wyoming. The mule deer are awesome creatures and there are some true monsters here around the ranch but because of their struggles with CWD I'll kill whitetail, elk and antelope for a few years to help them recover.

Leave a comment:

• twoforks
    replied
    In Colorado it will take you about two years to draw a tag in the San Juans. But you can look into land owner tags. There are some big bucks in the farmland area but I don't know how much the tags would cost you. There are no over the counter tags for deer unless you want to go north where cwd is very high.

Leave a comment:

• Sarge01
    replied
    I don't know what has changed but in 1987 I killed a 30 inch mule deer ,that missed B&C by only 7 points, outside of Westcliffe, Colo in the San Isabella National Forest in the Santa De Crista range with only the help of 3 of my hunting buddies . One of them had hunted the area before. We left our vehicle near the Rainbow trail in sight of Westcliffe and hiked up the Comanche Lake canyon 6 miles and set up a tent at Comanche Lake and hunted from there. Saw several mule deer and all of us killed a decent mule deer. Don't know if you can buy tags over the counter there anymore or not. At that time the hunting pressure was very light. It was quite a hike. Where we left the truck it was 9000 feet and where we set up camp was 10,800 feet.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    I'm only familiar with one area, and I haven't hunted it since 1979.
    The San Juan Nat'l Forest of southwestern Colorado had some awesome deer and awesome scenery. There were huntable areas that nobody hunted due to limited access. By limited access, I mean horse and foot trails only.
    But, then I haven't been in the area in 34 years!
    Happy probably has the best info.

Leave a comment:

• Happy Myles
    replied
    Eastman's journal is named, The Hunting Fool. It will be a big help.

Leave a comment:

• jay
    replied
    Draws for the next hunting season haven't happened yet so you will be able to start applying early next year. Get yourself a subscription to Eastmans hunting journal and start your research.

Leave a comment:

• I'm looking to do a DYI Mule deer or Antelope hunt this next year. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start/ what stat

I'm looking to do a DYI Mule deer or Antelope hunt this next year. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start/ what state would be the best. I would be looking for state land or private land open to others. Would need to be a over the counter license as I did not send in for anything this year. Whats everyones suggestions... Looking for where what animal pretty much anything. Thanks

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad