Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey guys, I own a 32 acre piece of property in SW Virginia, and big bucks are fairly rare. Most close neighbors will shoot at an

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey guys, I own a 32 acre piece of property in SW Virginia, and big bucks are fairly rare. Most close neighbors will shoot at an

Hey guys, I own a 32 acre piece of property in SW Virginia, and big bucks are fairly rare. Most close neighbors will shoot at anything that moves, except for my uncle who owns a 100+ acre piece of property neighboring me, and my friend who owns 30 acres across the road. We are starting to see a few more bucks than we have the past couple of years, and I would like to sort of make our land a place that they can't resist to keep them close and safe from trigger-happy neighbors. What should I do this coming spring and summer as far as making places for them to bed, planting food plots and baiting to try to make this happen? What can I do to increase the number of bucks in my area? Any other tips are welcome.

You may want to plant small pines. Bucks need a place to hide and they love small pines most of all. Great concealment, easy access and quiet.

Comment

I also hunt a 32 acre tract in SWVA, and have had similar problems and similar thoughts. As far as cover, that depends what you already have, but we have a good mix of hardwoods and open fields and there are always deer around, so haven't done much other than upkeep. Thinking of planting a food plot in the spring, you may try a feeder in the off season obviously.

Your neighbors are going to do what they do, no real way to stop it, the only thing I have done is when I run into them on the property lines I always make it a point to say I passed on a smaller buck, even if I hadn't seen the first thing. I am not a horn hunter, so doesn't make a huge difference to me what the deer look like before they go in the freezer, as long as I am out there I am happy, if a nice buck shows up, well great.

Goodluck

Comment

Shoot does.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad