Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I put two black bear baits out today. I hung up two trail camera each facing the swamp bait pile and I hung up one trail camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I put two black bear baits out today. I hung up two trail camera each facing the swamp bait pile and I hung up one trail camera

I put two black bear baits out today. I hung up two trail camera each facing the swamp bait pile and I hung up one trail camera facing the mountain top bait pile. I used five giant bags of dry dog food and two large bags of corn coated with molasses. I poured the following over each bait pile. A bottle syrup, a bottle of honey and a gallon jug of caramel molasses. I have two questions would deer eat dry dog food and would deer eat at a bait pile knowing that bears are using it? This past spring the only other animals that came into my three bear bait piles were bobcats and coyotes.

I failed to mention that raccoons and opossums were also hitting my 3 spring bear baits at night.

Comment

I think the scavengers will be in first, then the bears, then if anything is left, which there will not be, the deer would come in. They may still come in to paw the earth for the syrup.

Comment

I put dog food out one time just to see if deer would eat it and it was gone just as fast as bagged corn so yeah they eat it at least here in Missouri.

Comment

I'd be surprised if they eat the dogfood, but I guess if it's covered in molasses and caramel maybe. The corn they will pick from the pile, i'd think.

Comment

I brought some sugar beets back from a Michigan hunt to S.Ohio and the deer took three night to figure out what they were. A nibble the first night, more on the second, and by the third they ate the whole thing.

Comment

The reason I asked this question, is my mountain bear bait pile is surrounded by buck rubs and active buck scrapes.

Steve182, I agree with you that the deer would pick out the corn kernels.

Jhjimbo, good point and deer do have sweet tooth.

KadenSmith, I always wonder about deer eating dry dog food. Most dry dog food is beef, liver, bacon or chicken flavored. Deer are vegetarians so I though those favors wouldn’t be appalling to them.
              Hey, but if your Missouri deer eat it maybe the Jersey deer will because I did soak it in honey, syrup and molasses.

Thank you guys, +1 for all.

Comment

typo mistakes,

1. thought not though

2. would be appalling, not wouldn't

sorry

Comment

Jhjimbo, the deer will nipple on your sugar beets because they are too big.
                  Most sugar beets are longer then a person's hand, similar to small footballs.

I use my machete or hatchet and chop them up.
                  The deer will then eat them.
                  Try it you will have better results at the bait pile!

Comment

Although dogfood is meat flavored, the main ingredient is usually grain of some sort,... wheat, rice, corn or soy. -If a vegetarian deer will eat it, it shows you how little meat is actually in dogfood.

Comment

Steve182, I never knew about dry dog.
                      Thanks

Comment

Gary we never get pictures of deer on our baits despite having watermelon, apples, corn and oats as part of the mix. I think the smell of multiple predators and the decaying meat puts them off.
                        We got on photo this year of a wolf treeing a bear at the bait. Not the kind of place a deer would linger. My guess is they might eat it if they were desperate but they are not going to hang out if bears and coyotes are around.

Comment

Chuckles, great points!
                          Bears like watermelons? Hmmm
                          I will have to try that one. thanks

Comment

Bears love watermelons!

Comment

Some one posted on the forums here a while back that deer can get a parasite from eating dog food i dont know if this is true because they didnt have anything to back it up but they said it can wipe out an entire deer herd

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Rest Easy
                                by FirstBubba
                                "... I took your advice and blocked the slimy nine and the red rodent, ..."

Welcome! It's pretty sad to rant and rave on a blog...
                                Today, 04:39 PM
                              • Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                                Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by 99explorer
                                Even if the Democrats take the White House and the Senate, it will still take 60 Senate votes to kill the filibuster, because of the filibuster!
                                Today, 03:02 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                They know IF Trump wins and holds the Senate and picks up some down ticket it will mean the end of the Dem party for at least ten years if not more....
                                Today, 02:39 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                I am most pleased with the Barrett confirmation, now we only need to see the fallout from the D’s. With the reelection of Trump, probably not too much...
                                Today, 01:18 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X