Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I noticed something when hunting waterfowl the other day. I have two boxes of shells, both Federal, both 3" mags, and both at s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I noticed something when hunting waterfowl the other day. I have two boxes of shells, both Federal, both 3" mags, and both at s

I noticed something when hunting waterfowl the other day. I have two boxes of shells, both Federal, both 3" mags, and both at same velocity (1550 fps). One box is #4 shot and the other is BB shot. I shoot geese with BBs and ducks with #4. When jumping ducks on the slough I carry a BB shot up the tube. Boy, do I notice a difference in the kick if I get to that last shot! Can anyone explain why the BB shot would boot me harder than #4?

The load must be a different weight or different dram/equv. If they are the same, it might be the design of the cups.

Comment

Increased resistance.
      The harder it is to move the shot column down the bore, just that much more recoil is generated.
      Simple, really.

Comment

Postulation #2!
        You're hunting geese over an open field. You're jump shooting ducks over water. The air above the slough is moisture laden, ergo, "heavier", increasing resistance.

Comment

You proposed at one time that to "triple" on ducks and geese was rare where you hunt. You ever hunted the Texas Gulf Coast for ducks and geese?
          ...and BTW! I consider a "triple" as three consecutive, successful shots separated by no more than a second or so. A "miss" between kills nullifies a "triple"!

Comment

You proposed at one time that to "triple" on ducks and geese was rare where you hunt. You ever hunted the Texas Gulf Coast for ducks and geese?

Comment

Hmmm. Perhaps you're onto something Bubba. The larger steel shot would have less ability to "give" going up the barrel. I guess that's why they warn against shooting anything larger than steel BB through a fixed full choke. Definitely is a difference in the recoil. Very noticeable.

There's also definitely a difference in my ability to connect too. Ordinarily we don't have many ducks around but this year has been incredible. I have bagged at least twenty so far and I HAVE NOT MISSED A SHOT YET. No kidding! For geese I was averaging about 2.5 shells per bird and thought that was pretty good. And the ducks are getting creamed too. Only one cripple so far. I am at a loss to explain it. One would think that shooting at much smaller target I'd be missing more not less. Geese are a lot tougher and flying a lot faster so maybe that explains it. I'm sure shooting loads that are more comfortable factors into it too.

Comment

Yes, Bubba, a triple is exactly what you describe, not three in one shot (as some think). Triple requires aiming at and taking three separate birds in three consecutive shots FROM THE SAME GROUP OF BIRDS. I sorta got a triple on ducks the other day. Took the one I was shooting at in the first shot (plus two others), dropped the one I was aiming at with second shot, then as I stepped out to give the dogs directions, a pair from the big bunch I just shot up came by a bit high and I clobbered the hen. Three consecutive shots/birds and the same bunch but not really a triple in the purest sense. After a few minutes another pair came by high as I was standing in the open working the dogs, I slipped in a BB, and filled my bag of six mallards.

Comment

FOR every Action>>>> there is a Reaction<<<<<<

Comment

Are the loads the same weight?

Comment

My point, Honk, is the rice fields along the Texas coast us an absolute waterfowling "Mecca"!
                      Geese and ducks are thick and mixed bags are commonplace.
                      I've hunted the Katy area twice and the J.D.Murphree Wildlife Refuge once (near Beaumont/Orange.
                      On the first trip to Katy, it was very difficult to "pick" a single bird to shoot!
                      Deafening and awe inspiring!
                      The Murphree trip was a "blue bird" day. Clear, cold and windy! Birds were miles high. We finally limited on ducks by jump shooting levees.
                      Guide was a "bust".

Comment

Yes, Jay, both are 1? oz shot and both are same velocity. Only difference is shot size ... and the hurt the BB loads put on me!

Bubba, sounds like Manitoba hunting. I had a couple of days like that here this year ... for about twenty minutes each time. The migration route is definitely changing here. We are getting fewer northern honkers every year and I only saw two small flights of snows/blues one day this season. We used to get clouds of them right into November. Geese are essentially all gone now. Some ducks are still here. We had quite a few of them this year. I have to hang around till the 29th for mediation on my late wife's MVA litigation. If not for that I'd be in Montana right now shooting pheasants.

You say your Murphree guide was a bust? Tough to expect much from him on a bluebird day. I get a kick out of jump shooting. I'll take it any day. Really enjoy the walking and it's easier on the dogs than sitting wet and cold all day. I guess that kind of hunting would have been a bit tough on you though. But hell, must not have been too bad. You got a limit and I'm guessing it was a hefty one down there. Seeing the big flocks blacken the sky is awesome but shooting into them ... less so. One shot and might go over the bag limit! Many times I have had the decoys full of geese and can't shoot because I already had three or four. Made that mistake one time too many. I hate having to make a second trip out to the fields to pick up the extra bird. Taking care of a limit is time consuming enough. So I now usually pass on the flock shooting and wait for a couple of late birds to fly over.

Comment

The Murphree was a bust because there was nothing he could do....but he did give us a break and gave us a lift away from the rally point.
                          He pointed where to go and what to do, then curled up in the weeds near the boat and napped while we beat the tulles.
                          It was in the early seventies and the "point system" was in place.
                          Ten point mallard drakes were okay! One mallard hen or a smilin' mallard and your day was pretty much over.

Comment

I think the bigger pellets has to a lot to do with it. What gun and ammo brand are you shooting. I put black cloud BB through my rem 870 last weekend, recoil didn't bother me at all.

Comment

I think the bigger pellets has to a lot to do with it. What gun and ammo brand are you shooting. I put black cloud BB through my rem 870 last weekend, recoil didn't bother me at all.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad