Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm wanting a new rifle. I will be using it for deer and elk in the future I already have a .270 but am looking for something wi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm wanting a new rifle. I will be using it for deer and elk in the future I already have a .270 but am looking for something wi

I'm wanting a new rifle. I will be using it for deer and elk in the future I already have a .270 but am looking for something with more knock down power what would be a good caliber? not wanting a 30-06, something bigger.

A 300Win-Mag would fit the bill in most cases,Easy on the Recoil, Shoots flat and long range reach. and Wal*Mart has Ammo for it.

Comment

.300 Win Mag.

Comment

.300WbyMag.

Comment

.300 win mag if you're not reloading your own. If you are, the List goes on and on.

Comment

Dallas hit the nail on the head, a Savage Long Range Hunter in .300 Win. Mag. or .300 WSM. BTW that gun comes with a muzzle break you turn on and off.

Comment

however you could go up even more and hunt virtually any big game animal on the planet from deer to elk to moose to bear by getting a .325, I would recommend the browning x bolt as far as the gun itself.and you can get one for the price of a quality rifle.

Comment

I have a Sako A7 in 300WSM that I really like and it is super accurate, has a really good trigger, with a Simms Limb Saver recoil pad is a pleasure to shoot and has the power you are looking for, If you don't reload there are plenty of quality factory loads available.

Comment

is a 7 mag not enough gun? just curious as to why no one has mentioned it?

Comment

is a 7 mag not enough gun? just curious as to why no one has mentioned it?

Comment

I think they've not mentioned the 7mm Mags. because to get ballistics similar to the .300 Win. Mag. you have to at least get the 7mm Weatherby Mag.. And also David E. Petzal wrote a favorable review of the Savage Long Range Hunter. Here it is Part 1

www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/ammunition/2010/04/petzal-savage-model-111-long-range-hunter-part-i

and here is Part 2

www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/hunting/2010/04/petzal-savage-model-111-long-range-hunter-part-ii

Comment

Oh yeah, thanks for the tip on posting links First Bubba

Comment

I would have to say a 7mm mag. I have a Old Browning A bolt in that caliber and you can knock any thing down with it. You can find ammunition at any store for it also. You can find a lot of bullet grain choices to tailor it to your needs. You would want 160 grain soft point to get good velocity and a controlled expansion. Find a cartridge then your gun and do some testing to find a good round that will preform well to do the job. Hope this helps.

Comment

.300 Win... Plenty of power for anything, very accurate for longer range in a good rifle.

Comment

I'd like to suggest the .35 Whelen as a candidate for consideration. It's the .30-'06 necked up to .35 caliber, so it fits in a long action with a standard bolt face, and it's a good choice for deer and elk.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad