Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alright I just got into deer hunting and was wondering what to do after after the deer is skinned. Also, how do I take care of

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alright I just got into deer hunting and was wondering what to do after after the deer is skinned. Also, how do I take care of

Alright I just got into deer hunting and was wondering what to do after after the deer is skinned. Also, how do I take care of and age the meat?

For best results, hang the carcass with the skin on in yer garage in near-freezing weather for a week to 10 days.

Easiest to take the aged meat to a butcher for cuts and sausage.

Comment

Meat is aged by hanging in 35° weather until it reaches the desired state of decomposition.
      I've never aged a deer! I don't have an area big enough nor does the weather here hold appropriate temps long enough.
      I just quarter it up and toss it in the 'fridge.
      With the wife helping, I can kill one today and have it wrapped and in the freezer tomorrow.
      Add one day for grinding and another to smoke the kielbasa.
      With proper cooking techniques, you'll never have a tough piece of meat!

Comment

If you know anyone with a walk-in-box, now would be a good time to call in a favor. Too warm early season to let a deer hang outside. I you have access to a walk in, hang it for a week at 35-40.

Comment

I always like to take the carcass to a local butcher in the hunting area, where for about $50, he'll butcher, package and freeze the meat.
          A week later, I pick up a cardboard box full of frozen venison.
          It's the lazy man's way, I know, but one less chore for the weary hunter.

Comment

I usually don't age mine. If I do I have an old fridge I stack the quarters in. I usually only keep out the outer and inner loins for steaks. The rest I either make jerky or I have processed into hotsticks, sausage, bacon, hotdogs, burger,etc.

Comment

It depends on the ouside temp or if you have access to a walk in cooler. In warm weather you must get the the meat cooled as soon as possible or have it processed asap. Bacteria grows at a fantastic rate in warm weather and will ruin the meat in a very short time. in cold weather (under 40 degrees ) you can let your deer hang a week or so. Check it every day and use your nose, spoiled meat has a very distictive odor.
              I have had venison both ways and I don't see much difference in tenderness. Cooking the meat properly is the key to tenderness. Never, ever, overcook venison, it will be like chewing on an old boot if you do.

Comment

I work @ a business that skins and processes deer. Last year we did 900 deer. After you have skinned it spray it out with a hose and throw a bag or two of ice in the body cavity. Let it hang maybe a day if its cold but not longer To let the blood drain out of it. After that either bring it in to a local processor or process it yourself. Venison is nothing like beef it does not age it rots. I know this because guys bring in deer that they have let age a week. if you bring it in the day after it is shot you will get more. Every day that you let it set you lose meat because it gets worse.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad