Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I love hunting with my son(15) and he loves it too. However, I do veto any attempt to bring a video game for the hunt and for th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love hunting with my son(15) and he loves it too. However, I do veto any attempt to bring a video game for the hunt and for th

I love hunting with my son(15) and he loves it too. However, I do veto any attempt to bring a video game for the hunt and for the car ride there. I feel he should think about what we are going to do, not clutter his noggin and enjoy the whole scene. He does play them often (my wife and I do actively monitor the content and time spent). I do not like them at all, the violent or whatever, but I know they are here to stay. As a tough 'hood city boy who loved the woods, I believe life demands our attention, not just for safety's sake (no small matter) but to also to be able to enjoy the outdoors, I think a face stuck in a screen messes with that. By the way, our boy is a good kid,very safe and fast becoming a better shot than his old man. What say you my friends?

Sounds like you and your wife are doing the right thing.
    Psychiatrists have already named a condition for someone who plays on the iPhone too much and also there is a new neck condition attributed to too much looking down. The experts say over indulgence of just talking on the phone will lead to young adults not being able to carry on a face to face conversation. Too bad.
    Anyway, keep up the good work.

Comment

I think the idea behind any vacation trip is to "get away from it all," and you can"t do that very well if you bring it all with you.

Comment

Our charter boat captain in Kodiak, Ak told us about a mom and dad who rented his boat for a day of fishing.
        A sullen, dour teen climbed into the boat cabin with his face glued to his "game".
        Set up to fish for halibut, the dad asked the captain if he would see if he could help get the teen engaged in the activities.
        His invitation was met with a string of oaths that would make a sailor blush!
        Whereupon he returned to the deck and told the parents, "You raised him! You deal with it!"

Comment

Some parents in my area do have a rule, no screens on weekdays. It seems to work for them and I have considered implementing it in our house and used it as a threat to get them off the internet or console. Your kid your choice but it sounds like you are being a good parent by setting rules and loving them. They will appreciate it when they are older I do not look back at the 80's and wish I had played more Atari ever.

Comment

[Blank]

Comment

[Blank]

Comment

My older brother took his eleven year old son hunting with him in the same monster size deer stand and he was bored to death.

Maybe hindsight my brother should have allowed him to play a video game to keep him occupied. His son is now thirty and hasn't hunted since.

My brother says to this day that he wreck his son by forcing him to hunt with him at an early age.

Comment

I think if my dad had tried to start me hunting deer out of a stand I would have given up from the get go. I have a hard time staying still under cover long enough for the geese to come in on a slow day. Totally screwed myself out of getting shots at five hundred honkers and snows yesterday afternoon. Rather than take the time to set up the decoys and park myself for the duration, I took old Pearl for a long walk to a slough in the timber. It was a windy overcast afternoon but the fall colors were beautiful and I love a walk with the dog. We wound up coming home with a limit of six mallards and Pearl got to swim for them which is a treat for her. But no sooner did I have a bead on the ducks than tons of geese drifted over landing in the adjacent corn stubble where they had been earlier that day. Anyway, rather than try to start a kid on something really slow, I say take him/her waterfowl hunting where the quarry is almost certainly going to be seen and shots taken. My dad started me on ducks and I was hooked after that. And really, there is nothing more enchanting for a young hunter than a big greenhead mallard in hand. On the other hand it could be years before a kid gets a crack at a trophy deer.

Any time I take my daughter to dinner or to movies the phones go off before we get in the car. That's our time together. Never had to tell her to do it either. She is as disgusted as I am at the alarming increase in digital socializing. She already lost her mom and is so thankful for all the real time they had together without interference from technocrap. She knows she could lose me at any moment, just like we lost her mom. We don't want to waste our precious time together with distractions.

Comment

And that "wasting precious time" goes for us parents too. I lost my son just a few months before his mom. Like her, he was here one second and gone the next. I regret very much that I didn't go with them to his bowling league more often. I'm not much for bowling but he loved it. I wish I had taken more time to enjoy watching him enjoy himself.

Comment

[Blank]

Comment

[Blank]

Comment

I started our daughter & son on small game (squirrels, waterfowl, pheasants & bunnies)because it's what I've always done plus it's never boring and always fun to walk around without worrying about spooking that big buck. Also, I have enjoyed all your responses.

Comment

I see no need for video games while, shortly before, or after hunting. As a young person, I have played them in the past and know that they can be enjoyable on occasion, but have never become "addicted" to them. I say give the boy a book, for literature keeps a mind healthy. I always find a good read very calming in the woods and have been bringing a book to the woods with me since I was 14.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Voter Fraud
                              by 99explorer
                              Wouldn't it be nice if SCOTUS would just take Trump's word for it that massive fraud took place, and not require all that nitty gritty evidence that courts...
                              Today, 01:08 PM
                            • Voter Fraud
                              by bowhunter75richard
                              For those who claim voter fraud is not happening......Google The Heritage Foundation/election fraud cases ! All states are listed.......it just might...
                              11-06-2020, 08:01 PM
                            • Reply to Voter Fraud
                              by crm3006
                              From #1 Bubba: "One step closer to SCOTUS.....not that it will make any difference."

I would have to respectfully disagree with...
                              Today, 12:49 PM
                            • Reply to Is ammo shortage affecting your hunting season?
                              by Sarge01
                              I have plenty of primers, powder and bullets for my 300WSM and my 308. The only problem is I am running short of small rifle primers for my new toy...
                              Today, 12:37 PM
                            • Is ammo shortage affecting your hunting season?
                              by FirstBubba
                              Lot's of us here on F&S are reloaders, so ammo availability isn't a HUGE factor in our ability to enjoy our sport.
                              But not everybody reloads....
                              11-15-2020, 10:44 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X