Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I always thought that hunters who said that deer aren't alarmed by cigarette/cigar smoke from a stand, were just making an excus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I always thought that hunters who said that deer aren't alarmed by cigarette/cigar smoke from a stand, were just making an excus

I always thought that hunters who said that deer aren't alarmed by cigarette/cigar smoke from a stand, were just making an excuse to smoke. Then there are stories of deer walking up on a smoker. What say you?

My dad smoked plenty on the stand. Smoked enough to die at age 53. He shot more deer than most guys ever will.

Comment

I think it depends a lot on the location.
      In farm communities where the deer live in close proximity to human activities and are frequently exposed to human odors, they are accustomed to encountering humans who don't pose a threat to them.
      But in remote wilderness areas where few humans ever set foot, the deer would be very alarmed at odors related to the presence of humans.

Comment

There are many hunters out there who smoke and urinate out of their tree stand.

I don't care if they pour a bottle of Aqua Velva or Brut men's cologne around their hunting area.

I try to eliminate all human scents and smells while hunting. I even wear rubber boots and I would never wear my work boots while hunting.

Comment

Gary - There is an article in the October issue of "Deer and Deer Hunting" magazine by Steve Bartylla, in which he describes the great lengths to which a hunter must go to defeat a deer's nose.
          He not only wears rubber boots, but they must be purchased a year in advance, and treated once a month by washing inside and out with a mixture of scent-free liquid soap and water. If it will be a while between uses, he dumps a cup of baking soda in them and stores them in a sealed container.
          Then, while walking to his deer stand, he wears boot pads that are laced with non-estrus doe urine or immature, non-rutting buck urine.
          He also changes his diet well ahead of the hunting season to disguise his breath. He avoids coffee altogether, and brushes his teeth with Arm & Hammer unflavored baking soda toothpaste, paying extra attention to brushing the top and bottom of his tongue, gums and the roof of his mouth.
          He leaves his wallet at home, and his wrist watch and glasses are washed in hydrogen peroxide each time he heads out to the woods.
          A bit extreme, but he is a true believer.

Comment

I don't smoke at all. Though some of my companions are cigarette or pipe smokers, none of them smoke while hunting. All wait until the hunt is over or we're sitting in camp discussing the day's activity.

Comment

NHshtr: That is a nice assortment of hunting handguns you have there I am looking to add a few to mine. Do mind passing on what you use?

Comment

1) Deer are curious
                2) A smoker always knows which way the wind is blowing
                3) Wind is very dynamic, and it is difficult to know exactly where your scent molecules are traveling and whether or not an animal has smelled you unless it reacts in a manner that indicates that it has smelled you.

Comment

As a wildland firefighter I have gotten the opportunity to observe animals and their reactions to smoke at a first hand level. Smoke doesn't bother animals much. High levels even make them easier to approach. That being said I don't smoke, but I hang my hunting clothing right by the woodstove throughout the duration of hunting season. A little smoke for cover scent is all the scent product I use, well that and playing the wind.

Comment

Hi...

Deer that have been acclimated to humans act differently during deer season (as in 'they learn fast').

Yesterday, as I was backing the UTE into my driveway, two deer were bedded down in the shade of some trees at the edge of my lawn. About 30-feet away.

As I got out of my vehicle, I faced them, said "hi" and waved. Although they seemed to be watching me intently, they never budged.

When they enter areas where hunters are chasing them, they get 'skittish' very soon.

Comment

shot a doe dead down wind yesterday but that was in the suburbs. She definitely smelled me she had her nose up and looked right at me several times. I had one wind me last saturday and bolt like it was being shot at. Both were older deer. I do some scent control but it just depends on the deer,situation, and ???. Smoke and human scent do not attract them so i try within reason to avoid being too smelly

Comment

99explorer,
                        That is a lot to go through.

What does he do if he has to fart??

Comment

jimbo - He didn't mention that possibility, but I guess he might give himself an enema with doe urine.

Comment

I hunted for years with a guy that was a chain smoker, had the coughing and hacking to go along with it - he got his dear almost every year.
                            Another guy had the uncanny voice to attract deer. When talking in a small group, invariably a deer would appear. We got to using it as a tactic when other methods were not working.

Comment

make that deer. He probably got his dear also.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad