Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best campfire recipes. Looking for something that you can either: 1. make with minimal effort/materials in the back woods, or 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best campfire recipes. Looking for something that you can either: 1. make with minimal effort/materials in the back woods, or 2

Best campfire recipes. Looking for something that you can either: 1. make with minimal effort/materials in the back woods, or 2. allow to slow cook over the campfire while you spend the next 5 hours in the deer stand.

A simple stew of the meat of whatever critter falls to your trail gun and a potato, onion, and carrots simmered slow over a low fire is a favorite of mine. Cube the meat and brown it in some fat then add some flour to the hot fat to make a rue. add water, a bullion cube, and the cut up potato, carrots, and onion, salt and pepper to taste and simmer until done.

Comment

Get a Dutch oven and a cookbook for same, and there are a lot of recipes you can use. I like the one Sourdough Dave submitted, cooked in a buried Dutch oven set up. The world's original slow cooker.

Comment

Beans.
        Soup.
        Stew.
        Baked potatoes.
        Roast.
        A dutch oven and a fire is a "non-electric" slow cooker.
        Experiment with digging a hole, line the bottom with live coals.
        Set the "oven" on the coals and add more coals. Cover with a piece of sheey metal and cover with dirt.

Comment

"...sheet metal..."

Comment

Bubba-
            I thought that was what I was saying. Never used the sheet metal, though. Good idea.

Comment

Venison Chili No "Beans" cooked slow in Large Pot.
              The best on a Cold Day in the woods.YumYumm

Comment

'06
                Like I say, it takes a little experimenting.
                Coals in the bottom of the hole. Set the pot in.
                Coals about halfway up the sides, then cover with metal and dirt.
                Just like setting that hummer in an oven!
                The pot needs to sit only an inch or two below the metal.
                Enough dirt on top to insulate and hold in heat.
                Killer roasts and stews!
                Absolutely off the wall cobblers! Especially peach!

Comment

When we broke camp, it looked like a moonscape! Old Willard kept two or three going all the time.
                  You could hunt hard and still gain weight in Willard's camp! LOL!

Comment

Shouldn't leave a campfire unattended, unless covered with dirt as above.

Comment

Bubba-
                      I use big nuts in the coals to get more fire under the oven, and a short handle hoe and E-tool to get coals up around the sides. Always just put some coals and wood on top of the oven and covered loosely with dirt, but I will definately try that sheet metal at my next opportunity.

Comment

Covered or not, I cannot imagine a "campfire" burning for five hours unassisted. On a wildfire I have seen stump holes that have likely been burning for days but there's generally a LOT of fuel underground being consumed. So how does one go about unburying a pot in a smoldering campfire without getting burned? I'm asking because I have never heard or seen this kind camp cooking.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How do you fly ?
                          by DakotaMan
                          I tend to buy scopes to fill a need that I already have in hand. I always shop hard and can usually find a good deal somewhere on the planet when I am...
                          Today, 05:48 PM
                        • How do you fly ?
                          by jhjimbo
                          Do you buy a scope when it is on deep discount, then look for the perfect rifle to put it on ? Or, you have the rifle and it needs glass, justkeep looking...
                          Today, 04:18 PM
                        • Reply to Do You Like To Fish In The Rain ?
                          by dewman
                          As long as no lightning I don't care if it rains.
                          Today, 05:45 PM
                        • Do You Like To Fish In The Rain ?
                          by jhjimbo
                          We are getting a nice slow soaker of a rain for most of Sat afternoon. Reminds me when we fished from my Fathers cruiser. It was called an express cruiser...
                          08-01-2020, 05:28 PM
                        • Reply to How do you fly ?
                          by dewman
                          The last scopes I bought were 3 Leupold vx-2's on clearance for under $150 a pc.(posted it on here, remember?) The last rifle I bought new was a Weatherby...
                          Today, 05:42 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X