Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minimum acceptable distance from deer camp campfire to your stand (assume no wind)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimum acceptable distance from deer camp campfire to your stand (assume no wind)?

Minimum acceptable distance from deer camp campfire to your stand (assume no wind)?

I've known guys that shot deer within 50 yards of camp.
    A friend of mine was really frustrated with his two teen sons.
    Everybody else got up early, built a fire, cooked b'fast and left before daylifht.
    The boys would sleep in, get up after daylight, eat cold leftovers, drag their sleeping bags to a gulley about 30 yards from camp and snooze.
    The two of them killed more deer than the rest of the camp!
    Some things just don't bother deer.
    To be honest, I've built small twig fires to warm my hands and killed deer with a fire between my knees!
    I don't think it makes a lot of difference unless your campfire reaches bon fire proportions!

Comment

I've heard numerous reports of hunters remaining in camp for the day and filling their tags while their companions were out climbing the hills far and wide in search of game.

Comment

Just like 99's stories... The friendly old neighbor who originally taught me to reload got a nice spike elk within 10 yards of his camp fire. He was totally whipped from several days of hard hunting and passed on an early morning hunt. He arose about 9:00 and fortunately took his rifle with him for his first cup of coffee by the camp fire. He stoked the fire and poured his first cup of java only to see a spike bull trotting his way. By the time he jacked a bullet in the chamber it was upon him. He made a nice quick shot and was smiling ear-to-ear when his buddies showed up at noon to find him field dressing his elk right beside the tent.

That being said, I don't like to hang my tree stand closer than 20 yards or so LOL!

Comment

I don't think deer are at all bothered by smoke or fire. Unless as FirstBubba said its a huge bon fire. It wasn't a fire, but my dad shot at and missed a doe while bow hunting. She ran off and he walked over, got his arrow, sat on a log, and lit up a cigarette. when he finished the cigarette and stood up the doe was standing no more than twenty yards behind him. The smoke acted as a cover scent for him.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad