Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This weekend Muzzleloader in Ohio (antlerless only) is going to be sunny and low to mid 70's. Not enough hunters available for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This weekend Muzzleloader in Ohio (antlerless only) is going to be sunny and low to mid 70's. Not enough hunters available for

This weekend Muzzleloader in Ohio (antlerless only) is going to be sunny and low to mid 70's. Not enough hunters available for a drive, what do you think the best tactic would be?

I'm looking forward to sitting in creek bottom surrounded by farmland with little to no woods within 1/2 mile.

With ODNR changing rules to allow you to gun hunt 1/2 hour after sunset, I think this will be the most opportune time to get one this weekend.

Comment

Good idea. After the AM move to bedding, I think I will still hunt some on the north side of some ridges if the woods are not too dry. Then in the afternoon take a position low by a swamp/creek area.

Comment

Still hunt. Walk and stop and glass, walk and stop and glass. They mighty not be too upset yet with one human moving through the brush. You might get shot.

Comment

I would follow RockySquirrel's advice. Find a place to sit for the first few hours of the morning in the woods, watching trails heading to and from known bedding areas. If you don't see anything, walk ridges, glassing. Alternate these two strategies through the day and you're sure to see something. Don't forget that deer can be as active in the afternoon as they are at any other time of the day.

Comment

this time of year in indiana deer are on a tight schedule with movement from food to beds and vice versa. In my opinion this leaves only two options that will limit deer being educated and maximize success.
            1)hunt over food, this is not only effective but also allows time to prepare for a shot and get some sort of inventory of what deer are in the area
            2)hunt a travel route, take advantage of movement from food to bed or bed to food, put yourself between what they have and what they need

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad