Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jenna's question made me think, can a deer smell my ham&cheese, turkey club or PB&jelly sandwich in a zip lock bag?? If they ca

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RockySquirrel
    replied
    Had tunafish salad in tupperware and plastic bag in a ice chest at camp one year and a bear ate my ice chest going for that tuna. He knew it was in there.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    I met this old boy who would dip a Large Bore patch in Diesel Fuel and thumb tack it to a tree above his tree stand, and Smoke his Pipe, eat what ever and got his Buck every year. Fool the nose you got a deer.

I have a 2"x6"x4'sunk in the center of my food plot,I load it up with peanut butter and LMAO...watch the Does knock heads licking the P/B off the stick.

Leave a comment:

• Safado
    replied
    Try putting your snacks in a turkey roasting bag. If you want to be extra careful double wrap it. That is a drug smugglers tactic. It works. Don't ask me how I know!

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Wanna have a good laugh?

Any type tin can.
    Wash and remove label.
    Punch/drill a small hole in the center of the bottom.
    Make a wire hanger so the can may be hung upside down about 4 feet off rhe ground.
    Smear a goodly amount of peanut butter in the bottom of the can.
    Hang can, upside down by a strong cord from a tree limb near your stand.
    Get ready to laugh your butt off as deer chase the can to get at the peanut buttet! They love it!

Leave a comment:

• habben97
    replied
    I think if a deer smelled a peanut butter and jelly sandwich it would probably think it was something to eat. You could try double bagging the others, just to be safe. as far as scent control goes, playing the wind is the most important thing you can do, in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Carl Huber
    replied
    Scent is a wonderful thing. It is what you associate it. Myself the first girl I kissed chewed Beechnut Gum. I still like it for what ever reason. As a child my Dad [a house painter] came home for lunch. I still like the smell of Turpentine. Myself Deer are the same way. If you don't smell strange or give off predatory signals. They do not care. JMHO

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    I believe that we can do a lot to control how much scent we are emitting and it is of value in archery hunting where you need to get them close. My brothers and I really watch human scent on our clothes as much as we can and have had big bucks within five feet of us numerous times. We do also mask scent with things like doe estrus scents which seem to take priority in the buck's scent analysis.

That being said, I've also had deer pick up my scent from 80 yards downwind when the wind is right. They don't all act the same way all the time but the more scent you give them, the more they are likely to detect it. I do watch what I eat in my archery stand too. Canned sardines is one of my favorite. They supply energy and the strange scent seems foreign enough to deer that they don't seem to mind it. I put the empty cans back in zip locks but that is mainly to keep them from dribbling goo in my pocket. Staying downwind is paramount but I can't always control that so I do the best I can.

Leave a comment:

• Carl Huber
    replied
    I believe the first 3 Gentlemen summed it up. Deer make your best Blood Hound look like it has a world class head cold. Forget about Hogs who are 5X better than Deer who have 5X the receptors of Dogs. Gives light to the scam of scent masking. Like I have said in the past if it was real drug smugglers would have patented it years ago!

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Here I go again.
    The area I hunt is heavy agricultural.
    Farmers are constantly checking livestock and crops. Deer see, hear and smell them often.
    Yes, motion, odor and noise still affect these deer, but not like you'd think.

Leave a comment:

• Edward J. Palumbo
    replied
    I agree with 99. A friend had a taste for rich food, but was unable to contain the evidence. He earned the title "Dungeon Breath" and was one of the more flatulent members of the team. His example leads me to recommend against salami & cheese with carbonated beverages. Whatever the deer were aware of, they knew there was a carnivore out there.
    Aside from his dismal record as a whitetail deer hunter, I honestly doubt we can completely mask our scent as human beings. If the wind blows in the deer's direction, the creature may or may not be terribly alarmed, but it will certainly know we are not deer.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    I think this is a matter of opinion, and mine is yes and yes, along with a whole bunch of other odors we emit, from our toothpaste, aftershave lotion, underarm deodorant, hair tonic, soap and laundry detergent, to say nothing about our halitosis, beer farts and perspiration.
    That dagwood sandwich is just the cherry on the cake.
    JMO.

Leave a comment:

• Jenna's question made me think, can a deer smell my ham&cheese, turkey club or PB&jelly sandwich in a zip lock bag?? If they ca

Jenna's question made me think, can a deer smell my ham&cheese;, turkey club or PB&jelly; sandwich in a zip lock bag?? If they can, would that alert them?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad