Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I store my husband's deer hunting clothing in a cedar chest in my bedroom? I think it would be ok but I thought I should ch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I store my husband's deer hunting clothing in a cedar chest in my bedroom? I think it would be ok but I thought I should ch

Can I store my husband's deer hunting clothing in a cedar chest in my bedroom? I think it would be ok but I thought I should check. I don't want to be the reason that the "big one" stayed "just out of range"

Best thing to do is air out, outdoors, any hunting clothes the day before use.
    I use moth balls on some wool items and by hanging outside for a day they are fine.
    I also put an apple or pine cones in a pocket while hunting.

Comment

[Blank]

Comment

I've killed deer while reeking of "Rain Forest" or whatever dryer sheet aroma my wife purchased.
        Once again, just get out there and hunt.
        It's not going to hurt a thing to store the clothing in a cedar chest, especially if it makes him happy! LOL!
        Personally, I like the smell of cedar!

Comment

As Dallas said, it is nice to hear from someone so considerate of their spouse. My 44 years of experience there has demonstrated that marriage is even more important than hunting and thoughtfulness like this goes a long way to preserve that wonderful relationship!

His hunting clothes will be fine in a cedar chest. Especially if cedar trees are native to your locale. If he rifle hunts it won't make much difference because typical shots are outside of the deer's scent range. However if he archery hunts, scent control is paramount because we need to get the deer REAL up close and personal.

Regardless of where archery clothes are kept during the year, I always fluff them in the dryer before season and then store them for a few days in a garbage bag filled with pine boughs to erase human odor, especially human smells from inside the house. I only take them out of the bag and put them on at the hunting location if possible. Once season starts, I store them outside in that bag and never take them back in the house until season is over. I've always believed that the smell of cooking bacon, popcorn, etc. are retained in every article of clothing in the house and deer smell that from 80 yards downwind.

Comment

They will be fine.

Very impressed with your thoughtfulness.

Comment

Have stored my hunting clothes in cedar closets for more than forty years. Have always had good hunting success as judged by my peers.

Comment

Have stored my hunting clothes in cedar closets for more than forty years. Seem to have good hunting success as judged by my peers, must be doing something's right. Kindest Regards, Maam

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad