Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I missed a doe 3 times in one day with my bow.I am 13 years old and i shoot a mathews mission craze and its really accurate.I ju

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I missed a doe 3 times in one day with my bow.I am 13 years old and i shoot a mathews mission craze and its really accurate.I ju

I missed a doe 3 times in one day with my bow.I am 13 years old and i shoot a mathews mission craze and its really accurate.I just cant stop shaking and i cant figure out the exact yardage.I use a range finder and i range a few trees but i can never really tell how far the deer really is.Can anyone help?

Sounds like you have a touch of the "brown flu"! LOL!
    (buck fever?)
    Do what I sometimes have to do.
    Let your draw off.
    Lower your bow.
    Bow your head just like you're praying, close your eyes and take a couple of deep breaths.
    Relax.
    Open your eyes.
    Remember, that's just a target out there.
    Now, do the same thing you do at the range.

When you stop getting excited at the sight of a deer, it's time to quit hunting!
    I'm 63 years old and still get excited! ...and I love it!

P.S. - You ain't the first man that's missed a deer! Odds are high that you won't be the last either!

Comment

Are you missing consistently over or under and at what range are you taking shots?? I am thinking your sight might be off for the range you are shooting.
      Back to the target to check it out.
      Good luck.

Comment

thanks firstbubba ur answer sounds pretty good i guess ill try that. and thanks for ur answe jhjimbo the first shot was in the morning and yes i did have buck fever because i ranged it to be 72 yards im crazy for taking a shot like that the second and third one were in the evening i took a shot at 18 yards and i dont exactly know how i missed but then she ran to 35 yards and i shot for 40 and went over her lol thanks again yall

Comment

Just be patient. It sounds like you are hunting a good area so you will have plenty of opportunities. If you draw back and are shaking too bad, or don't feel comfortable with the shot, just don't shoot! It won't be the end of the world and eventually you will draw back, put your pin on the deer and everything will just feel right. Good luck!!!

Comment

Good advice from FirstBubba. I still get excited too after 50 years of bow hunting. If it wasn't that exciting, I probably wouldn't do it. Experience is required to learn to control it but the technique FirstBubba describes is a good one.

Comment

Practice more. If you can, try to lower the lb pull on your bow so that it's a bit easier. The other thing you can do is try to practice with it on a higher lb pull and then lower it and practice just a little bit to make sure you're still on target. That'll make it easier to just hold physically. As far as mental stuff, aim for a very small spot in the sweet spot. Imagine you're aiming for a single hair on the deer. Aim small and miss small. If you've put more practice in, you'll do just fine. Practice ranging things more and more..that's just something that'll take time. You'll get there, just don't give up. Good luck! And just remember, there's always general/centerfire season after too! Hahah I went two full seasons without taking a shot with my bow...I passed up over 20 shots. Don't feel that you need to take every good shot you see. It's about the sport of it. Get closer and be quieter. The best hunting stories don't go "I shot him when he passed my blind." They go "Yeah I stalked him for the bulk of the morning and took a 7 yard shot". Cheers, and good luck.

Comment

I'll never forget the first time I had deer walk under my stand and I had to sit still and be quiet. I remember shaking and breathing hard and trying to stand up to get a shot and my legs were like jello. I love hunting!
                I still get shaky today when deer come in. I have just learned to control my breathing and slow down. Like Firstbubba said if you quite getting excited quite hunting.

Another good practicing trick is to do something like jumping jacks. Do like 20 of them to get your heart rate going then pick your bow up and shoot. You'll be surprised at how much differently you'll shoot, but it's good practice.

Comment

yalls advise is really good but one of yall said to make my lb higher i cant im a really strong boy i pull 70 pounds of draw wieght and its still easy i just get too shaky lol

Comment

yalls advise is really good but one of yall said to make my lb higher i cant im a really strong boy i pull 70 pounds of draw wieght and thats as high as it goes and its still easy i just get too shaky lol

Comment

yalls advise is really good but one of yall said to make my lb higher i cant im a really strong boy i pull 70 pounds of draw wieght and thats as high as it goes and its still easy i just get too shaky lol

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad