Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you believe the Woolly Bear can predict the long-range weather? The story goes, the wider the middle stripe on the Woolly Be

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you believe the Woolly Bear can predict the long-range weather? The story goes, the wider the middle stripe on the Woolly Be

Do you believe the Woolly Bear can predict the long-range weather? The story goes, the wider the middle stripe on the Woolly Bear, the MILDER the weather. Conversely, a narrow band predicts a SEVERE long-range weather system.

Oh sheet, all the Woolly Bears I have seen lately have NO middle band at all. Does that mean we are going to get hammered this winter? The leaf turn is just now getting started in N.Ohio and the colors are a very vivid orange-yellowish, about 0.1% turned so far. Bright colors compared to previous years. Does that mean anything?

Comment

Seems to work here in SW Washinton.

Also, when Winter is over, the earthwurmz come out and copulate.

Hence, the name of Mah book, "When The Wurmz Fuk."

Comment

Weather Prediction between the Farmer's Almanic or a woolly caterpiller.
        Flip a coin! Heads the Almanic and Tails the moth.

Comment

I believe animals can predict the weathers days in advance but not months.

Comment

The tails here in the midwest go by color, not the stripe. Dark color = bad winter; Light coloer = good winter.

Comment

Seeing all blondies around these parts! No stripe.

Comment

Seeing all blondies around these parts! No stripe. Is this one wide stripe? Or a stripe so narrow it doesn't exist?

Comment

Longrifle,
                  That is what I am seeing, very light color bodies and no stripe. What does that mean? Where are you located?

Comment

The Farmers Almanac and the wooly bear seem just as accurate as the weather channel.

Comment

I have found that there is some truth in old wives tales/weather lore. I have noticed that the squirrel tails this year are already getting really bushy. Another sign of a cold weather.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad