Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Honkers come in set up for the decoys. You are in perfect position to intercept them. As they pass over at barely twenty-five

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honkers come in set up for the decoys. You are in perfect position to intercept them. As they pass over at barely twenty-five

Honkers come in set up for the decoys. You are in perfect position to intercept them. As they pass over at barely twenty-five yards you step out of cover at the last second and draw a bead on the leader. This is the perfect setup for a triple. The first shot is almost too easy. Wary of blowing it up, you pull your aim to one side a bit. First shot smashes feathers everywhere and the goose tumbles. Second shot is easier as the birds are startled and flaring. Down comes that bird and into the chamber goes the third and final shot. Then you noticed that the first bird has caught itself. Though losing altitude, it's still flying. What do you do? Keep in mind that a triple is no mean feat, especially for pass shooting (much more easily achieved flock shooting as the geese land on the decoys or when they take off). I still haven't made a triple on pheasants and have only registered triples on geese maybe a dozen times.

I think I would lose bead and re-fire at the original. Not out of a ethical or moral obligation, but for fear of having to traipse<----? around looking for the winged one. That could potentially expel more energy than I like to without preparing for it. I love a good adventurous hunt, but don't care for hurdles and hoops.

Comment

I don't like crippling any bird or animal. I'm back on that first goose without hesitation.

Your pheasant triple reminded me of a sure thing on that feat. When I was young, I was returning from the goose blind with my 12 gauge in my right hand and my 10 gauge in my left (loaded hot with 3 1/2" BBs). Four crowing roosters jumped at the same time from a fence row ahead about 75 yards. In a flash, I decided to one hand the 10 gauge so as not to drop my 12 gauge in the mud. I pulled up and shot, holding the 10 gauge out with my left hand, not even shouldering the shotgun. I was sure I would get all four at about 90 yards. They looked sweet over the bead. They were flying in a tight group and I just knew I had them all!

When I pulled the trigger, the hammer went through my left hand, sprained my wrist and the receiver hit me in front of my left temple. Knocked me out cold and upon awakening, I couldn't even remember which direction the pheasants flew. I never knew whether I hit any of them because I could barely see and my head was spinning all the way home. So much for a triple on that one.

Comment

I've never hunted geese but listening to you guys talk makes me want to get out and give it a whirl.

As far as a triple with pheasant. Wish I could even try. Pa's daily limit is just two birds. So when two or more do flush I usually only shoot one so I can continue to hunt.

Comment

Triples are a definite struggle for me. I hunt with a SxS and pick singular birds out, I typically hunt without dogs so I focus on dropping and marking my singular bird. Did manage a double on hungarian partridge earlier this season but they flushed from a tall grass dry creek out over a cut pea field. Not much for hunting geese, you getting any of this snow OH? Rained all of yesterday and we have a solid inch on the ground now.

Comment

No snow here. A bit rainy but drying out enough during the day for the farmers to finish combining their grain. Mind you, none of these dairy farmers has a great deal of acreage. Spring came very late so crops were not in the ground in time. Last three days I have been driving grain truck for the farmer who owns the place where I hunt geese. Spent most of today bucking straw bales from the field and into the barn (the farmer sells square bales to a local feed lot and they sell them to the stock truck drivers for bedding). My right wrist carpel tunnel is acting up as a consequence. Trigger finger works but just barely. Good thing because the farmer's uncle called and he has a thousand geese in his fresh cut barley field. It should be a cinch to shoot all I want tomorrow a.m. It's weekend but also moose opener so most of the skybusters should be in the bush. Anyway, no snow or freezing weather is in sight for at least a week.

I am heading back to Montana in a couple of weeks for pheasants. Are you in Eklaka or Ennis?

Comment

Should clarify: a triple is three birds for three consecutive shots.

I did opt to shoot the first bird again and dropped it. Pretty sure it would come down eventually and I have dogs. However, it almost certainly would have lit in a potato field and those are really difficult for the dogs: very dusty, smelly, and the potato "hills" are a pain to climb through. To compound things, somehow the farmer wound up with a lot of tomato plants mixed in. They are quite stinky. I have never lost a goose in the potato fields but it has sometimes taken the dogs hours to find them. Pray is right, I have better things to be doing with my time than spending hours looking for a bird (plus having to clean a third one when I finally do find it). When I cleaned the goose last night I was surprised to see that I didn't hit it as hard as I thought with the first round (shot in the belly as opposed to third shot which was almost in the arse). It would have died but not quickly.

Comment

I'm down here in Ekalaka OH, but I do hunt elk over between Alder and Ennis. Will be headed over there here in a few weeks. Up to about 5 inches of accumulation here, ranchers are having a fit because its been wet here too and 5 inches of wet snow has knocked down a good bit of the crops they haven't been able to harvest.

Comment

OH, good luck with that barely field. It sounds mighty nice! If you are through Montana between Helena and Butte, let me know. I'll be there from about Oct 24th for a week or two.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad