Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have lived on the same piece of property for the past 14 years and year in and year out I have gotten hundreds of pics on my t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have lived on the same piece of property for the past 14 years and year in and year out I have gotten hundreds of pics on my t

I have lived on the same piece of property for the past 14 years and year in and year out I have gotten hundreds of pics on my trail cam of does does and more does rarely ever a buck my land borders a large cattail swamp with thickets and neighboring white oaks and several crab apple trees , what gives? Is this area simply not conducive to bucks ? Once in a great while during the rut a nice buck will show up at like two a.m. Any thoughts?

They are probity more in the crab apples and the swamp. I would try to put cameras on trails leading or coming from those locations

Comment

They are probity more in the crab apples and the swamp. I would try to put cameras on trails leading or coming from those locations

Comment

Hmm.. Sounds like great habitat to me. Lots of does, good food source, and thick cover. One generally couldn't ask for much more. I would guess there are bucks there. They probably won't follow the does on their frequently used paths. But might travel near them. I would scout the swamp. Try finding areas that connect the swamp to the food that isn't very heavily traveled by the does. I don't know where you live but if you live where winter brings snow. That's a great way to scout those areas.
        On a property I used to hunt my friend and discovered where a nice big buck was moving out of a swamp on the complete opposite side from where the does would come out. Finding this allowed my friend to shoot his biggest buck to date(12 point with a 21" spread. Beautiful big old buck)

Comment

I am guessing they are more, in the crab apples and the swamp. I would try to put cameras on trails leading or coming from those locations

Comment

SWAMP says it all. You should have bucks, but they love to hide in the swamp

Comment

There probably aren't any bucks on that property. Why don't you let me know where this location is and I'll confirm it for you. lol

Comment

There are about a half dozen things that could be wrong...anywhere from unbalanced buck:doe ratios caused by buck-only harvests, to your own personal stand selection, but without a more thorough assessment of your specific hunting scenario, I cannot give a good recommendation.

If you want to know what's up with your deer herd, it starts with collecting data (harvest data, observation data, trail camera survey, etc.) I'm not going to lie, it's a lot of work, but if you want an accurate diagnosis and prescription, then you can't get around collecting information. Informed hunters are not only better hunters, they are better managers of the resource.

You'll find the information you need to get started here: www.qdma.com

Comment

I don't see your problem Hunt closer to the Swamp and Apples trees put a stand on the fence line!!
                  You can't eat horns! Thin-out the Doe herd, Now they make fine eating.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad