Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the safest temp an animal can be left at overnight if recovery is not possible that day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the safest temp an animal can be left at overnight if recovery is not possible that day

What is the safest temp an animal can be left at overnight if recovery is not possible that day

what kind of animal keep it at a bout a 79degrees or just house temerature

Comment

that is for non cold blooded creatures

Comment

32* or below Freezing.

Comment

oh for a animal your going to eat

Comment

oh for a animal your going to eat

Comment

I think we just answered that yesterday....

Comment

Trolling for FISHEROFLIFE!

Comment

Colder then one would think. Managed to get a whitetail an hour before dark with it dumping snow, lost the trail found him the next morning with 3 inches of snow on him. was only able to save the head. the meat went bad all the way to the skull. even though it's cold out they're built to withstand the winter temps and hold in heat. I like to have them cleaned within the hour when possible.

Comment

I've never left any animal over night (although it took me until 4:00 AM to get one out of a remote spot). If it has not been field dressed, the meat will be ruined regardless of the temperature. If properly field dressed, you can leave game over night at temps below 40 degrees as long as coyotes, bear, or wolves don't beat you to it.

It is best to hang the animal in a tree to keep all sides cool. If you can't do that, prop the chest cavity open with a stick and prop the animal upright over its spread legs so the meat is not touching the warmer ground. I'd rather work all night to bring game in than to leave them overnight.

If you are hunting in the evening, be so certain of your shots so that you will NEVER miss a lethal on-the-spot kill. All other shots at this time of day are wanton waste of game.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad