Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you guys think of polypropylene thermal underwear? Does it perform well?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys think of polypropylene thermal underwear? Does it perform well?

What do you guys think of polypropylene thermal underwear? Does it perform well?

It insulates nicely and dries very quickly. If you take care not to put it in the dryer (or at least make sure it's on low heat), it'll last a good long time, depending on the brand, of course. I don't care for it much, though; it's really just another form of plastic, and that's exactly what I feel like I'm wrapped up in after a while. Polypro blended with wool is better, if you're looking for something that actually feels like clothing, and all the blends that I've found are nice and soft. (One more thing about polypro: If you wear it camping, you might want to pack extra-strength deodorant or wash the underwear out every day, because it can hold odor like crazy.)

Comment

Perfect fur our rainy climate.

Goes well with rip-stop poly rain pants to keep dry and block the wind.

Jeans in between.

Comment

I use under armor and it works well. Don't know exactly what it is made of.
        Word of caution: do not, under any circumstances, get any pants without a fly. I did that by mistake once and it is a real witch in cold weather.

Comment

Its ok but not the best. The poly breads bacteria and the stuff stinks to high heavens if you wear on multiple day backcountry hunts. Merino wool is a much better choice.

Comment

I still prefer wool to anything else in cold weather. I once had a popped ember from the fire hit my pants leg and though it did not burn through my wool pants, the poly melted to my skin!
            Lesson learned.
            Silk is good for chilly but not really cold weather, and outer clothing slides on/off very well over it, no binding.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad