Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the best way to deal with someone who is hunting on property that you have written permission to be on but they do not.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the best way to deal with someone who is hunting on property that you have written permission to be on but they do not.

what is the best way to deal with someone who is hunting on property that you have written permission to be on but they do not. I don't want anything done to me or my vehicle either.

All you have to do is politely tell them, preferably from a distance, that the property is posted, without disclosing your own status or privileges.
    In most cases, they will probably profess ignorance and leave.
    If not, you should depart the scene and call the law.

Comment

Just tell the property owner and let them deal with it how they choose to .

Comment

Call the landowner or game department. Confrontation with armed nimrods is not always the best idea.

Comment

In my answer above, I was assuming that you have exclusive hunting privileges, either as an individual or as part of a club. But if many others enjoy the same privilege that you do, I would not take it upon myself to act as sheriff.

Comment

"...I don't want anything done to me or my vehicle either..."

Well, Jim. Either stand up for your rights or just leave.
            In fact, I've experienced just what you're talking about.
            WAM is correct.
            Your first course of action should be to contact whoever signed your permission "letter", be it landowner or caretaker.
            That's exactly what I did. Two days later, the feeder and pop-up were gone.
            If your "signer" is wishy-washy about handling the situation, I'd strongly suggest you "Exit, Stage Left!". The situation will only get worse.
            By "contact", I don't mean letter, e-mail, text or phone call!
            I'm saying talk to them face to face. Their facial expression will tell you alot!
            Don't get angry with the "signer", just explain the situation.

You don't want an armed conflict and it isn't "your" land to defend.
            On the other hand, the landowner I hunt on has informed me that NO ONE but me has permission to hunt his property. I've also been given permission to discourage interlopers.

I would also get clarification if you "letter of permission" gives you exclusive access to the property. This is a sticky question lots of folks forget to ask.

Good luck. Good hunting and God Bless!

Comment

Tell the person who's property it is and go from there. If you have the chance to talk to him then try to work it out.

Comment

JMO~ I would first ask the Property owner How many OTHERS have the same permission as you? Do they all have Papers like you, if not what should I do, call you(the owner)??

Comment

When I get permission to hunt a piece of land, I ask the owner/caretaker who else hunts the land and I contact them, then we work out dates that I can hunt, and that he can hunt. I also ask the owner to have any newbies contact me, that way if I run into somebody in the field, I either know them and the have permission, or I don't and they need to leave. To answer your question, tell the landowner.

Comment

Actually, booting trespassers is not as hazardous as it has been made to appear.
                    In my experience, I would shout or whistle from a distance and wave my arm to get their attention. Then I would shout, "Posted!"
                    In every case, the trespasser turned on his heels and left the premises.
                    There was never any armed confrontation with shots exchanged.
                    I believe trespassers are more worried about being shot than the landowners are, and they don't want any trouble with the law. JMO.

Comment

Ask them politely to stop. If the issue continues let the land owner know of the situation. If the land owner doesn't have a problem with the other person hunting try to work out a system like dividing the land or you hunt one week and the other person hunt the next.

Comment

Maybe mention that you saw another person hunting to the land owner. I would do it indirectly by asking if the other guy had any luck instead of being more direct. It gives the owner the info and decision about what to do in a non-threatening way. If they want your help they will tell you at that point hopefully or at least fill you in.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad