Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which do you prefer for muzzleloading; Loose powder or pellets? I was thinking of going powder to customize my load but is there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Bubba,
    I am going to do that next time I get to the range. I have some Pyrodex and Select Pyrodex (both Hodgdon)that I want to try.
    I am waiting for a .303 broken case extractor to come in the mail and I will be ready to go.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    I like the pellets for speed of reloading. If I need a follow up shot for another varmint or to finish off a critter, I don't like to be fiddling with powder.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    jhjimbo

If you're using 3x30 grain pellets, that should equate to 90 grains (vol.) of loose.
    Now load up 90 grains loose and see if you notice a significant difference.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    BTW Del in Ks!
    Thanx for the info!
    Bubba

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    I may have to purchase a brick of the Win "triple se7en"® primers and set them back! They may be worth something some day! LOL!
    If there is no significant difference in the two, guess I'll go with the shot shell primers. The 777 ones are hard to locate.

Leave a comment:

• Del in KS
    replied
    First Bubba, I have only used the regular WW 209 primers. They work just fine. Recently I saw some of the ML specific 209 primers at Cabelas. Can't remember the exact price but it was IMO extreme for only 100 primers and I passed.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    FirstBubba,
    Today I was using Remington STS 209 primers with the 3X30 pellets of 777. Every shot was instant ignition - about 7 shots today. My target
    picture is on my profile. I did not get a chance to chronograph.
    In the NEF ML, 3X30 pellets are about max.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Dcast,
    I put my picture of target from today sight in of my NEF .50cal ML on my profile. I was shooting 250gr T/C bullet with 3X30 777 pellets. I wanted to try Pyrodex and some Select Pyrodex I have but ran out of time as I had to take some trees down earlier(Ash borer disease), I also had two other rifles to shoot. First two ML shots were high and right, third shot was close enough for me.

Leave a comment:

• themadflyfisher
    replied
    I have shot 5 deer with my in-line and I have always used 2 50gr 777 pellets. They shoot good for me. I also shoot a 290 barnes sabot. I get about 2 1/2-3" groups at a 100 yards and that has yet to fail me.
    I do however prefer my flintlock. They're some of the most fun you can have in the woods!

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Del in Ks

I'm currently using a Win 209 primer designated for black powder.
    Everybody else seems to use the standard Win 209 shot shell primer.

Is there a "significant" difference?

Reason: The black powder variety is becoming more and more difficult to locate.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Del in Ks

I'm currently using a Win 209 primer designated for black powder.
    Everybody else seems to use the standard Win 209 shot shell primer.

Is there a "significant" difference?

Reason: The black powder variety is becoming more and more difficult to locate.

Leave a comment:

• DEER30
    replied
    Ultimately it depends on your rifle as to which will perform the best. I have owned two muzzleloaders and each shot differently with each load/round combo.

I found that my Millenium Arms ML shot best with 100 gr of loose powder while my new CVA is driving tacks with 2 Triple seven 50 gr. pellets.

Try both and experiment to see what works best for you. ALSO be sure to check the state regs in which you hunt. Some do not allow pellets or sabots (example: Colorado)

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Del
    He was shooting 50 grain 777 pellets. He showed them to me before he ever fired a shot.
    He was (is?) just getting into the ML scene and has turned to me sorta as a "mentor". He went to buy powder and all they had was pellets. He shoots a T/C Omega just like mine.
    In fact, I wasn't able to find 777 "powder" last year either and picked up some 777 pellets (50 gr). I find their performance, shall we say, lacking.
    I have no doubt two will do a number on a white tail, but I prefer the powder.
    I also know everybody has a projectile "preference".
    Mine is a simple sabot with a Berman, 240 gr .429 solid.
    So far, I'm shooting 2" groups at 100 yards and haven't had to trail a deer over 60 yards.
    Normally, I find a .429" entry wound and a .429" exit wound with very little blood shot meat.

Longrifle

I still shoot two sidelocks. A .54 T/C Renegade and a .50 T/C Hawken. I use GOEX FFFg. I shoot the same 240 gr .429" saboted solid.
    I got turned on to black powder by a friend who shot a Civil War era front stuffer he refurbished. It was awesome!
    His rifle now resides in the Sam Houston Museum in Huntsville, Texas.

Leave a comment:

• Longrifle
    replied
    As far as I am concerned there is only one powder to use. GOEX. FFG, and FFFFG in the pan. Start with a light load of 1 grain per caliber and work your way up until you get a nice crack in the report.

I understand some guys hate to clean their rifles, but I am fine with the good old coal dust. What I really don't get is the trend of paying crazy money for these new bullets. In my Remington 700ml I use a 240gr xtp in a sabot over 90gr FFG. In the longrifle I use a patched roundball over 80 grains. kills things just fine. I just wet patch between shots with moose milk or spit, and don't forget to pick the touch hole after loading. I love that it is cheap to shoot! I admit I enjoy shooting my muzzle loaders most of all.

Shoot Straight!

Leave a comment:

• Del in KS
    replied
    First Bubba I have seen some 30 grain pellets perhaps that is what your friends used. Three 50 grain pellets I have tried (IMR White Hot, 777 and pyrodex in more than one in-line gave huge muzzle blasts, heavy recoil, large white smoke cloud and poor accuracy. Velocity approached 2000 fps.
    The above info is for in-lines. My flintlock long rifle and Hatfield sidelock Mountain rifle are only charged with Goex ffg black powder. One of these days I might buy some Swiss black powder.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad