Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which do you prefer for muzzleloading; Loose powder or pellets? I was thinking of going powder to customize my load but is there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have shot 5 deer with my in-line and I have always used 2 50gr 777 pellets. They shoot good for me. I also shoot a 290 barnes sabot. I get about 2 1/2-3" groups at a 100 yards and that has yet to fail me.
    I do however prefer my flintlock. They're some of the most fun you can have in the woods!

Comment

Dcast,
      I put my picture of target from today sight in of my NEF .50cal ML on my profile. I was shooting 250gr T/C bullet with 3X30 777 pellets. I wanted to try Pyrodex and some Select Pyrodex I have but ran out of time as I had to take some trees down earlier(Ash borer disease), I also had two other rifles to shoot. First two ML shots were high and right, third shot was close enough for me.

Comment

FirstBubba,
        Today I was using Remington STS 209 primers with the 3X30 pellets of 777. Every shot was instant ignition - about 7 shots today. My target
        picture is on my profile. I did not get a chance to chronograph.
        In the NEF ML, 3X30 pellets are about max.

Comment

First Bubba, I have only used the regular WW 209 primers. They work just fine. Recently I saw some of the ML specific 209 primers at Cabelas. Can't remember the exact price but it was IMO extreme for only 100 primers and I passed.

Comment

I may have to purchase a brick of the Win "triple se7en"® primers and set them back! They may be worth something some day! LOL!
            If there is no significant difference in the two, guess I'll go with the shot shell primers. The 777 ones are hard to locate.

Comment

BTW Del in Ks!
              Thanx for the info!
              Bubba

Comment

jhjimbo

If you're using 3x30 grain pellets, that should equate to 90 grains (vol.) of loose.
                Now load up 90 grains loose and see if you notice a significant difference.

Comment

I like the pellets for speed of reloading. If I need a follow up shot for another varmint or to finish off a critter, I don't like to be fiddling with powder.

Comment

Bubba,
                    I am going to do that next time I get to the range. I have some Pyrodex and Select Pyrodex (both Hodgdon)that I want to try.
                    I am waiting for a .303 broken case extractor to come in the mail and I will be ready to go.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to GA Raffensperger (sp)
                      by 99explorer
                      How did Trump know the exact number of Georgia votes that were "stolen" from him?
                      An "audit"? Tell us more about that.
                      Today, 01:05 PM
                    • GA Raffensperger (sp)
                      by jhjimbo
                      Trump asked in the phone call with Sec. of State in GA for specifically 11780 votes to be found because that was exactly the number an audit showed were...
                      Today, 10:48 AM
                    • Reply to MichiganSchool Shooting
                      by fitch270
                      It appears there’s plenty of blame to go around on this one. The warning signs were there, neither the parents or the school would take responsibility....
                      Today, 12:56 PM
                    • MichiganSchool Shooting
                      by jhjimbo
                      It was reported today the parents of the 15yo shooter were in School THAT MORNING meeting with teachers and administration about the behavior of the shooter....
                      12-02-2021, 10:53 PM
                    • Reply to While you were sleeping...
                      by FirstBubba
                      DCM "Dead Center Mass" has been the general consensus of LEO training for many decades now.
                      The class I took for my CHL (SDA in Oklahoma),...
                      Today, 11:14 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X