Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This year is my first year hunting white tail and wanted opinions about hunting public land. I dont have a tree stand so I will

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This year is my first year hunting white tail and wanted opinions about hunting public land. I dont have a tree stand so I will

This year is my first year hunting white tail and wanted opinions about hunting public land. I dont have a tree stand so I will hide off in Brush. but what is a good scent killer, and when would be a good time to go considering I do not want to bother other hunters? If I wait a week after open day of archery would there be less hunters possibly?

I would not wait. There may be less hunters, but if the weather warms the deer will not move.
    Use scent blocker on clothes and wash with scent free soap. Then, watch the wind will be most important while hunting on the ground.
    Good luck, happy hunting.

Comment

If you wait until a week after opening day, there will be fewer deer still living when you take to the field.

Comment

Rule of Thumb to Hunt State Land #1 Scout the woods for Deer Sign #2 Make you a ground blind #3 Mark the trail with Cat/eye Tacks #4 Be IN your Blind by 3:30Am and sit tight, and let the other 5:Am Hunters Drive the deer to you.

Comment

It depends on the public land you are hunting. Get to know your area weeks/months in advance. Not just the woods and game trails but, its size, accessibility, roads and pull-offs.

While hunting Nat. forest in VA, I was hunting huge tracts of mountainous lands. It was nothing to hike 2-3 miles one way to get to the "good spot," but closer to the road hunting was available as well. In 6 yrs, I ran into other hunters maybe 5 times. The good deer numbers made seeing deer very likely, and the vast size gave bucks a chance to get old and big. Go to www.deer30outdoors.com and check out our trophy room and trail camera gallery to see some of the big bucks we have encountered.

On the other hand, when I moved to GA, the national forest tracts are significantly smaller and on flat land (Redlands WMA). The trucks will be parked in there by the dozens and last year I had hunters set up within 100yrds of me despite my signaling to them with my flashlight (I was in my sot 2 hrs before dawn o beat the crowd). The deer do not take to the intense pressure well and what few deer I have seen have been small, young, or go nocturnal once the season opens.
          Also keep in mind state bag limits, particularly those for bucks. Stricter limits usually result in better numbers of bucks because it forces hunters, who follow the rules, to be more choosey when they fill the only buck tag they may have for the season. It helps a lot of young bucks survive therefore improving public hunting opportunities.

Public lands can be a great hunting opportunity but don't worry about what others are doing just focus on your own hunt. We use mostly HS scent products or Dead Down Wind. Go as often as you can, you can't kill them from the couch. Scout each time in and out for new locations. Use areials and topo maps to help narrow down areas.

Sorry so long. Many of these topics can also be found on our website if your interested.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad