Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you guys in school skip school on opening day? I know some places actually close the school for a day for the start of hunti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hend.co.il.whitetails
    replied
    At our school the first day or Illinois firearm season is considered a holiday with no school. But archery season is also during football season so I usually skip the first half so I don't lose my football spot.

Leave a comment:

• Chewylouie
    replied
    I (like habben and seth) am home schooled. Get your school work done (doesn't really matter when) and you can hunt whenever you want. This was a little easier before I got into high school (I used to could go hunting in the morning, get my school done by lunch and then hunt the rest of the afternoon) but it is still doable. The principal (my dad) actually encourages me to hunt a lot because that is just that much more food he doesn't have to buy to feed his teenage son (me). Another nice perk to homeschooling is you can get a job (even in the school year) and get paid, then go buy hunting gear. Or save up and get a gun (I got a new shotgun after I got a job). You have to convince your dad it is an investment in food. Anyway If you work a couple days a weak, on minimum wage, and don't have a bunch of other stuff to buy you can save up a lot of money in not too much time.

Leave a comment:

• Ncarl
    replied
    While in high school I skipped the first few hours to go turkey hunting on opening day, or anyday that looked promising. Ive never had to skip for the firearms deer opener because it always lands on the weekend and when the bow opener rolls around I went in the evening. Never skipped to go waterfowl hunting. I always skipped a few days durring Iowas second shotgun season. Now that im in college I cant get away with that but seeing as I have a solid month to hunt over christmas break I figure it evens out.

Leave a comment:

• buckhunter
    replied
    My boys got days off to hunt but they earned those days doing well in school.

Leave a comment:

• Hobob
    replied
    I used to take the first week as a kid to go to deer camp. As a teacher we get the first day off and I use vacation for day 2. Lots of kids take off in my district I think its a real learning experience for them.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    As a Kid(1948)in H/School Up-State N.Y.It was called Harvest Week for all Farm kids(aka)Open week of Deer Season witch ran for three weeks back then,I remember taken my Rifle to School and left it in my 1936 Plymouth p/up just like most of the Farm boys back then.

Leave a comment:

• Sarge01
    replied
    In WV our 2 weeks buck season comes in the Mon before Thanksgiving every year. Our public schools give the students Mon. ,Tue., & Wed, off for deer season and then Thur., and Fri. for Thanksgiving, so our students get the entire first week of buck season off. Most businesses give their employees the first Mon. off and some places of business are closed the entire week. Here in WV the buck season is a State Holiday or at least that is what everyone thinks. We don't hunt on Sun so it helps when we get the week off. We have a late antlerless season around Christmas when the kids are out of school for Christmas so they can kill does then plus they have their Saturdays also. Most of our other seasons open on Saturday so most everyone can hunt especially the kids.

Leave a comment:

• canvasbackhunter
    replied
    In indiana most of our openers are on sat. I do skip school every year for a five day trip to WI to hunt grouse, I work Around the weekends, and I skip to hunt opening turkey. His year my school scheduled a 2 week break during duck season, so I should get to hunt lots more this year. Most kids in my school skip during deer and turkey season at least once.

Leave a comment:

• seth trudeau
    replied
    I am home schooled also so my answer is the same as Habben 97. Also I can go out n the morning depending how close to home I'm hunting, then do my school a little later into the afternoon.
    Seth

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    I failed to mention Pennsy deer season with a rifle open on a Monday.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    Northern Pennsylvania would close down schools and shut down businesses during the opening day of the rifle deer season.

My older brother used to lived in Tunkhannock, Pennsylvania and he couldn't believe they did that.

Leave a comment:

• JRE716
    replied
    I graduated two years ago. When I was still in school I took opening day of gun season off since I was in the 3rd grade. But I also took opening day of bow season off my 11th and 12th grade years. It was always a special day when I got to miss school and spend the doing what I love most. The only thing was I had to keep good grades and due all work I missed or these days would have never happened.

Leave a comment:

• habben97
    replied
    I am home schooled, so as long as I get the weeks work done I can skip school on opening day. I mostly just hunt evenings on school days though.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    As a kid, no one in my family archery hunted....but squirrel season opened Oct 1.
    Now pop wasn't gonna let me miss school for squirrel!
    Deer season, however, opened the Saturday closest to Nov 15th.
    Since season opener was always Saturday, there was no need to miss school, but I could always count on my dad to show up just before the 12 o'clock bell to pick me up Friday! It was a real treat for me.

Leave a comment:

• skemp
    replied
    Being the parent and a family man, I allow one or two fridays or mondays off of school for hunting. luckily opening day for archery is a Sat so I might let boy off for Monday but more than likely will be later in season. That and I dont feel like waiting til he gets out of school to leave go to work but other than that he is in school and best keep up with grades. He will do missed work while not hunting

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Pistol shooting form.
    by DakotaMan
    I never tried that one 99, You learn something every day....
    Today, 01:20 AM
  • Reply to Hunting pants?
    by PigHunter
    I wear cotton all winter. In Central Alabama we rarely get snow and have relatively mild temps. I won't hunt if it's below 20 degF. A camo poncho is what...
    Today, 01:17 AM
  • Hunting pants?
    by fitch270
    This one came to mind as I replied to PigHunter's thread up top about "What's on your belt?". I started drifting but decided it might be worth...
    Yesterday, 10:22 PM
  • Reply to Hunting pants?
    by DakotaMan
    I usually wear a loose fitting pair of fairly heavy camo pants and a camo shirt for the season from short sleeve cotton to heavy wool. If it gets colder,...
    Today, 01:13 AM
  • Reply to What's on your belt?
    by DakotaMan
    I always have the knife, sometimes the old Ruger Single Six. ...
    Today, 01:05 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X