Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how would i determine how big the buck is by his rub or poop and do they often clump up also do they typically live with or arou

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how would i determine how big the buck is by his rub or poop and do they often clump up also do they typically live with or arou

how would i determine how big the buck is by his rub or poop and do they often clump up also do they typically live with or around where elk are

Generally speaking, bigger bucks rub on bigger trees, but that doesn't mean a bigger tree isn't rubbed by smaller deer as well...some rubs are communal/sign post rubs that are used by many bucks of different age classes. As far as poop is concerned, there is no way to distinguish whether a deer is a buck or a doe based on its poop. I'm not as savvy with how deer and elk interact with each other, but experience with both in PA tells me that elk and deer usually do not spend a lot of time together. They may occupy the same habitat, but I have rarely observed them in close proximity to one-another.

Comment

Like bio said you can't tell for certain on the size of the tree especially if the tree is in the 2" range any buck could be rubbing on it. The size of the poop can only tell you that if the deer is young or older per-say. Obviously small pellets are from young deer and big almost 1" pellets are from big deer.
      On the elk/deer thing. I also have experience with elk in PA. I know they will hang out close to each other but not mix together. I have seen cow elk and deer together at an apple pile I had one year. If a bull was there however we wouldn't see deer at all especially a buck. Although, I got a pic of a giant bull and just minutes after he left 2 big bucks came in. You can see them both in my pics.

Comment

I recall reading a while back that the number of pellets in a deer dropping is loosely correlated to deer size.
        Something like 175 pellets or more indicated a very large deer.
        I have been unable to find it on the internet.

Comment

A larger buck rub will generally be a little higher up the tree and shred the bark more.
          Deer pellets can be clumped together or spread out - depends on the diet and state of hydration of the deer at the time.

Comment

In my experience, the larger the pellet size is generally indicative of a larger deer. I also believe that clumped pellets generally indicate the presence of a buck. Not a rule but general guideline.
            Large bucks will rub small trees but small bucks don't usually have the strength, determination, and hardware to produce large deeply carved rubs.
            Some other sign to look for and more details can be found at www.deer30outdoors.com/deer-sign-what-should-i-be-looking-for/

Can't speak to the elk question. No elk in my area.

Comment

Rubs are a great way to get ideas, not certainty. Look how high up branches are broken,...this will tell you roughly how tall the deer stands and or his antlers reach. Obviously smaller deer will make shorter rubs. The branches that make up the foliage should be looked at as well. Look to see how far on either side of the tree branches are broken! This will give you an idea on how wide your deer is. (note: sometimes the branches wont be broken, but there will be some bark loss)

Deer and elk here interact with each other frequently. Often times I find them bedded down near the other.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad