Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In the market for a good and comfortable tree stand to bow and rifle hunt out of, been using ladder stands but have been thinkin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the market for a good and comfortable tree stand to bow and rifle hunt out of, been using ladder stands but have been thinkin

In the market for a good and comfortable tree stand to bow and rifle hunt out of, been using ladder stands but have been thinking about going to a climber or a hang on style, what do you all prefer? Thanks.

If I were younger...Lol I would use a Summit Viper
    Climber and spend the Money for a good Safety Harness. Don't go cheap...your life is worth some thing to some one other then you

Comment

ALL THREE HAVE GOOD POINTS AND BAD POINTS. A CLIMBER SUCH AS MENTIONED BY TREESTAND IS REALLY GOOD FOR MOVING AROUND FROM TREE TO TREE IF YOU ARE ABLE TO USE IT. A LADDER CAN BE HEAVY AND USUSALLY TAKES TWO PEOPLE TO PUT IT UP AND IS A PAIN IN THE BUTT TO MOVE. i LIKE THE LARGE GORRILLA STAND WITH IT'S BIG COMFOTABLE SEAT BEWARE LADDER STANDS ARE EASY TO STEAL. HANG ONS ARE GOOD ALL AROUND STANDS BUY ONE WITH A LARGE PLATFORM AND STUDY STEPS. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTACES CLIMB ANY TREE WITHOUT A GOOD SAFETY HARNESS

Comment

I have not kept up with all of the latest and greatest, but I have a Viper climber and think it is a dandy when it possible to find the right tree.

The newer hang on stands from the big box stores are quite inexpensive and work just fine. This allows you to perhaps have several stands instead of just one which can be handy. The climbing system sticks/steps are a very important consideration for safety when using a hang on.

I personally prefer a larger stand for comfort. And tend to add additional ratchet straps to any stand or sticks I am using. Safety test and practice function with everything close to the ground. I do everything possible to stay on the ground myself. Gravity applies to everyone, so be religious with the safety harness!

Love my old API Grandstand, but what a heavy beast!

Comment

I think it depends on where you live. I've hunted Wisconsin and Minnesota and climbers are great in Wisconsin where the trees are at least somewhat straight but you could be searching for days in Minnesota to get a straight tree to climb.

I personally prefer Lone Wolf hang-on stands because they are extremely light and easy to hang in just about any tree you want. The ones I have had in the past have all had large platforms too which is nice as well.

Comment

I'm not an expert but have spent over 30 years sitting in treestands of all sorts. You must decide on what is important to you. If you want comfort, find a wide, soft stand. They are usually the bulky, heavy climbers. If you want versatility, purchase a loc-on with climbing sticks. Something in between would be the small climber.

Personally, the loc-on stands with climbing sticks will get you into just about any tree. Location, location, location...

Comment

I like the climbing sticks and the hang on tree stand.
              I like a big platform area on my tree stand for my size 14 feet so I can move easy for the shot.

Comment

I made my own. Nothing beats building something to your specifications!

Comment

I have an old Warren & Sweet climber that is good size and stable, but I believe they have gone out of business.
                  Also, made my own in '69 that I used for several years and then an Ameristep that was o.k. but made of steel and a little heavy. One advantage was it did work for bow or rifle(face tree) though.
                  There are several name brand climbers that look very good and are made with the latest materials.
                  I also use a safety harness and the slow descend safety device.

Comment

TREE LOUNGE!!!! They may be kinda heavy and hard to find since they went out of business.But they are the safest and most comfortable around. Look on ebay or craigslist to find one. Also check out some youtube videos. I could sit two days straight with mine if it never got dark.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Rest Easy
                      by FirstBubba
                      "... I took your advice and blocked the slimy nine and the red rodent, ..."

Welcome! It's pretty sad to rant and rave on a blog...
                      Today, 04:39 PM
                    • Rest Easy
                      by jhjimbo
                      Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                      Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                    • Reply to Rest Easy
                      by 99explorer
                      Even if the Democrats take the White House and the Senate, it will still take 60 Senate votes to kill the filibuster, because of the filibuster!
                      Today, 03:02 PM
                    • Reply to Rest Easy
                      by jhjimbo
                      They know IF Trump wins and holds the Senate and picks up some down ticket it will mean the end of the Dem party for at least ten years if not more....
                      Today, 02:39 PM
                    • Reply to Rest Easy
                      by bowhunter75richard
                      I am most pleased with the Barrett confirmation, now we only need to see the fallout from the D’s. With the reelection of Trump, probably not too much...
                      Today, 01:18 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X