Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your guy's opinion on scent-lok gear? Does it really work or are you just spending way more money than you should for ca

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woods Walker
    replied
    I think some of the scent issues depend on where you hunt. If you are lucky enough to hunt on private lands that are relatively undisturbed (or you hike in for an hour like Devine), you will not need to worry as much about scent control/elimination. If you are hunting heavily pressured deer on public lands, you need every advantage you can get. And playing the wind is a must but wind can change direction (especially in certain terrains) and deer can be unpredictable at times so I like to keep the odds in my favor.

Leave a comment:

• Pathfinder1
    replied
    Hi...

Never used it...never needed it.

However, the manufacturers are laughing all the way to the bank...with your money in their pockets...!!

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    I don't by scent lock, but I do air out my clothes outdoors(not in the garage) before a hunt and usually put some pine cones or apples in the pockets. Other than that, try to not sweat.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    Clay, I like your “Dump Starbucks” profile photo. A Plus one!

Starbucks told all their gun owner customers who had the right to carry not to bring their guns into their coffee shops across the country.

Last month they supported the right to carry gun owners in their stores.
    All Sportsmen should boycott the traitor company.

Below is the link on the story.

www.santafenewmexican.com/news/article_1cc858ca-3fe0-5995-b94b-985084539ef4.html

Leave a comment:

• scratchgolf72
    replied
    seems like ill be the minority here but i do wear head to toe scent-lok gear. i wash it in scent killer detergent, use scent killer shampoo, soap, and deodorant. i spray myself and everything i take into the woods with me with scent killer when i get out of the truck. is all this 100% effective? no, you can never get rid of every scent, but i do really believe the stuff brings game in closer. the less scent you put into the air the better off you are and thats what scent lok, coupled with all the other precautions i take, help to accomplish.

Leave a comment:

• Clay Cooper
    replied
    Happy you nailed it, scent free soaps, wind direction and the ability to be mobile is what I love about my popup doghouse tent

Leave a comment:

• Happy Myles
    replied
    On the other hand, it couldn't hurt.

Leave a comment:

• Happy Myles
    replied
    When this question was asked before, someone responded if it worked really well, every drug runner would be wrapping his goods in it to frustrate sniffing dogs.

Leave a comment:

• Hobob
    replied
    The guys who wear it may have more success but my personal opinion is that they also hunt harder and play the wind, terrain and everything else to a higher degree than average.

Leave a comment:

• Longrifle
    replied
    My opinion is scent-lok is only good for lightening your wallet. Like others have said, use the scent free hunters soaps, get rid of the smelly laundry detergents, and keep your hunting clothes away from the gas station. I also feel many commercial cover scents are unnatural and can alarm the deer.

Camo is way overrated. I would venture to say more deer have been killed by men wearing checkered wool, or good old Carharts. Just sit still!

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    The tallest stand I hunt is about 7' above ground.
    I do not use any specific "scent" products for myself or my clothing.
    I kill deer every year. (So far!)
    What little camo I do have, I usually purchase when it goes on clearance.
    The only critter I camo up hard for is turkey and they couldn't care less about odors.

Nope! No scent-lok for me!

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    Wash your clothes in one of the scent removal detergents and bathe with one of the scent free soaps or body wash or at least do both with non-perfumed products and watch the wind. Scent Lok has been proven to be marginally effective. No reason to go into the wood smelling like a gas station diner to tip the critters to a strange smell that puts their other senses on higher alert.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    Hey guys, when I was younger, I worked part time three nights a week in a night club.
    I had every possible smell on me at closing time. Such as cologne, customer cigarette smoke, perfume from hugging the lady friends that I knew and an alcohol beverage at closing time at three in the morning.

I would rush home change into my hunting clothes, grab my bow and didn’t have time to take a shower. I then drove an hour to my hunting location.
    I walked an hour in the woods to my eighteen foot tree stand. I wore rubber boots and I climbed up the tree with strong rubber gloves on.

I saw plenty of deer and I never heard a deer snort me once.
    I could have been covered in Limburger cheese, and they wouldn‘t smell me.

The secret is to hunt a high tree stand and being down wind.

Leave a comment:

• country road
    replied
    Spend your money on ammo and junk food. You'll get more out of it.

Leave a comment:

• jay
    replied
    PSShooter nailed it. Better things to spend your hard earned dollars on.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad