Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buckhunter, tell us about your elk hunt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buckhunter, tell us about your elk hunt?

Buckhunter, tell us about your elk hunt?

Happy, Thank you for asking. I had a great time. Went solo to SW Colorado with an OTC archery tag in my pocket. I ate my tag but it was not without adventure. I chased the same 6x7 all week getting within 70 yds, 50 yds then finally 100 yds with no shots. Nearby cows and a fickle wind were to blame on the stalks. The bulls stopped bugling a couple days after arriving which made hunting very difficult. The rains made tracking easy so I resorted to walking until I found a fresh track and followed it. That worked very well. Had multiple opportunities on cows but really had my heart set on the one big bull.

The unit I hunted was very, very crowded but the higher I climbed, the less people and the more elk I saw. The elk were 950 vertical feet above my camp but worth the hike each day. I considered a spike camp on the mountain but was told it's best to camp near the road then hike into your area. This turned out to be very good advice.

I found a small pond tucked away in dense pines which is riddled with tracks and sign. It's a long tough hike and I'm guessing not many guys have been there. Found a huge 6x6 skull laying out in the open where most anybody near could have easily seen it. I am looking forward to hunting this spot again next year.

Again, thanks for asking.

Comment

A grand adventure. I tip my hat to you going it alone. As I have written before, North American elk are among the greatest trophies in the world.

Comment

Hunting solo is the only way to go after those guys as far as I'm concerned. Oh well, you didn't have to gut and pack him out. There's always a positive side. And you saw lots of elk. That is great! Wish I could have been there. But then it wouldn't have been solo. Hope you managed to get some scenery pics for your kids and grandkids. You'll have some wonderful stories to tell them and that's much more valuable than dusty antlers.

Comment

Thank you Happy and Honker. Did not fill my tag but it was a very satisfying hunt. Had a run in with a bear. Will share that story later.

Comment

buckhunter,

Thanks for sharing your great hunting experience. I'm hunting new ground this year after 7 seasons of hunting the same area, so things will be different. Hunting camp with 3 of my old hunting buddies and a couple of new guys who have hunted the area for years. Should be interesting. Will be on the road in 4 weeks! Cheers, WAM

Comment

As Bo Pilgrim used to say, "That's a mind-bogglin' thang!"
              I truly enjoy others outdoor adventures!
              I'm hoping you have this recorded on "hard copy", safely stored for posterity!
              Congrats on a memorable hunt!

Comment

Always great to have a good trip. Thanks for the report. Now it's time to get ready for those whitetails.

Comment

Buckhunter, it sad but even in those high Rocky Mountains you must walk in deep, take a four wheel drive in deep or ride a horse in deep to get away from the crowd of hunters.

It sound like a great bow hunting elk trip and those memories live inside you forever.
                  Thanks for sharing it.

Comment

Buck, Was good to have a few brews with you on your way back through. That is a nice bull rack, it's always good to hike that extra bit to get away from the road/crowd hunters.

Comment

Buck, a solo hunt, huh? I'm jealous. Was the bull rack I saw you with a find or from years past? Either way, well done.

Comment

Thanks for the update Buckhunter! I'll be in SW Montana on Oct 26th trying the same thing with a rifle. I can't wait.

Comment

Where is the rack?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad