Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trail cam ethics on a hunt club. See my first post with my issue/question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail cam ethics on a hunt club. See my first post with my issue/question.

Trail cam ethics on a hunt club. See my first post with my issue/question.

On my hunt club there are about 20 active members, and we have food plots everywhere. There seems to be 2-3 cameras on most of the food plots and nobody seems to mind and none have been stolen that I know of. My issue is I think that someone is stealing or deleting my deep pics. I set up my cameras (2) around the beging of July and checked them about every two weeks. Throughout July and part of August I would have hundreds of pics or deer, turkey, and other small game. The last two times I have checked my cameras there are plenty of pics of turkey, bobcats, etc... but not a single pic of a deer except for the night prior to me checking them. This has happened twice and on both cameras. Do you think that someone is deleting my deer pics to make me think that there are no deer moving on that specific plot so they will have the plot for themselves to hunt? All areas to hunt on the property are on a daily first come- first serve basis. Or do you think that something else is going on?

Comment

That sounds pretty fishy if you ask me, get a ladder and hang a camera in a tree over looking the other camera is what I would do.

Comment

Really Lure?
        Life hs been reduced to the petty content of a trail cam?
        Isn't life already fraught with enough of the frailties of the human condition?
        I haven't hung a trail cam in several years nor do I intend to ever hang another.
        Why rob yourself of the surprise and adrenaline rush of the first glimpse of that giant 10 or non-typical you've dreamed of for years?
        Why subject yourself to the disappointment of having that monster you've been "scouting" all year fall to your neighbor who only hunts opening day, then listen to him brag all year about being the best hunter on the place?
        Now you're getting advice to spy on your friends. How's that right?
        What happened to forgive and forget?

My advice?
        Forget the trail cams!
        The pics are really neat! Get some REAL pics!
        Get a nice camera with about a 60x zoom lens and camera hunt in the off seasons? THOSE are some pics to be proud of!
        I really don't care and don' figure you'll pull your cameras....but isbit worth it to be angry at "friends"?

Comment

If you're really worried that someone is messing around with your cams, go buy a bear box (if they have a bear box it for your cam) and then place a lock on it. Problem solved.

FB,

I enjoy my trail cam and the pics it takes. It also doesn't stop or decrease my adrenaline rush when an animal is walking into my range. If the neighbor bags the 'big' one and wants to brag all about it, then so be it. If I had more time to get 'real' pics believe me, I would,... but since I don't, my trail cam is the next best thing.

Comment

To each, his own.
            Stan had a pretty nice little lease for himself, his son and step-son.
            He set up feeders and trail cams. As season neared, Stan became more and more excited because of the "monster" bucks at his feeders.
            He became more and more disappointed as the season progressed.
            Yes, they killed deer, but not the racks from his cams. As much as I explained to him that deer moved around and changed "zones", he wouldn't/couldn't grasp the concept. As far as i know, he's still chasing his "trail cam" dreams.
            I think he's killing thise deer, he just doesn't realize they "look" big in the pics! LOL!
            Paul, bless his heart, was a nice enough guy and spread enough trail cams over 800 acres, it took him about 3 hours once a week to check and service them. He ran them year 'round!
            When season rolled around, Paul seldom hunted, whining that fuel and tags "...cost too much!..."!
            Not only that, I'm not so sure he ever harvested any of the "monsters" he hadon camera! Don't guess it ever dawned on him those weekly 70 mile round trips cost him hunting time"

bruised sausage
            I really don't care. If you want to run trail cams? Shoot, heck, fuzzy fire! Do it!
            Guess my point is are the pics worth a friendship?

Comment

Not that anybody that would do that is much of a friend!
              Only "cam" I ever messed with was Harold's! It got me stepping into view and leaving. Didn't realize it took 30 seconds to reset. It missed the moon shot! Lol!
              We used to whiz under his feeder. Strangely, it didn't affect the deer one bit!

Comment

The picture files should be numbered. If you load them in a computer there would be gaps in the numbers for sure. No way to fake it. I had suspected this as well but it was just a less active time period.

Comment

Hobob- never even thought about checking the numbers. I'll do that next time I switch out my cards.
                  Bubba- Im not to bent out of shape about what happened, just want to know what the deal is. At least the cameras are still there. I just enjoy being out in the woods and kind of see this as a small hobbby. Since it is a large lease, 2500 acres, it just help me pattern the deer and see where they are and at what time. Maybe Bigfoot is messing with my stuff?

Comment

I use a small Stanley lock on my Primos camera door. You can not get to the memory card without cutting that lock.

LostLure when predators like bears, coyotes and bobcats are eating on my bait pile the deer seem to stay away. Maybe it is the fear factor with the predator’s scent in the air? Maybe it is your twenty club members are stirring up the woods. Deer will "Move out of Dodge" with human pressure in the forest.

Comment

Lure & Bob
                      The cams I had used 35mm film. It got so expensive with film and batteries, it just wasn't worth it. Plus, I got butt loads of prints with market steers and feral pigs with an occasional doe. No bucks.
                      I have 4 stand locations. It's not like I have tons of options.
                      Therefore, I'm not concerned about activity, but about getting into the field.
                      I prefer does anyway!
                      I have no problem, morally or ethically, with trail cams. I'll even look at your pics and enjoy them. Now that cams have gone digital, I may get another.
                      In the meantime, I'll just enjoy the thrill of not knowing what may show!
                      You know! Kinda like a long wished for CHRISTmas gift! LOL!

Comment

Next week I'll be in a tree wating to see what comes by. Still really hot here in the SE, but with the deer just losing their velvet it may change their activites some.

Comment

I'd steal pics from your camera just because you're a Michigan fan. LOL O-H!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad